Mojmir's Build

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#21 Enigma83

Enigma83

• Validating
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:43 AM

I've tried several different BB builds from this site, and the menus work perfectly. The original (latest) bbLean x64 also works fine. I no longer think Intel is the underlying issue, even though the problem is *apparently* (i.e. seems) to be triggered by the Intel driver. It makes more sense to me that an adverse reaction of some sort is happening, something that mosr users wont experience.So, lacking the know-how to do any real debugging, I've decided to go with another build for now, I'll keep trying your builds whenever a new release comes out though. I'm convinced that the real issue is caused by something in your build that doesn't agree with my system, perhaps a plugin, bug, etc, especially since other builds work. It's probably just something wonky going on with the menus, since that's the only time it locks up. But if anyone feels like offering up some info on how this can be diagnosed, like obtaining error logs or debugger basics, then be my guest. I simply am not going to reinstall/restore from backup/repair constantly just because one software doesn't work right. I already do that enough and I'm just tired of it. Thanks again!

#22 xDemonessx

xDemonessx

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:01 AM

Interesting issues with blackbox, I've never heard of anything like that before. Just read some more of your posts, and Window Event Viewer didn't provide any clues? Hmm. I've read that you can do some debugging with MinGW but I'm more familiar with Cygwin at this point.

#23 mojmir

mojmir

BB Developer

• Moderators
  • 254 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:48 AM

I'm still working on isolating the issues, by trying out some stuff in a virtual machine, and doing a fresh install of Windows with only the bare minimum stuff required. But all of this will really only help me to isolate what may/may not be the issue, it won't get to the root, and it won't get me the nitty gritty technical details of what is really going on.

this is not as useless as you may think. maybe it does not reveal the cause, but at least points to the direction where the root may lie. in the worst case this method reveals where the problem is not, which is also valuable information (mainly when one is really desperate). now we know for example that the problem is not in plugins.

if you succeed to reproduce the behaviour in a virtual machine that would be awesome, because you can give me the virtual machine and i can debug it.

On the other hand, I've just barely gotten into programming, mostly Python and a little messing around with Visual Studio. I have virtually no experience with a debugger, but it would be interesting to attach to a process to at least see the output. Do you OllyDbg, Visual Studio, or something else? Perhaps the Windows Event/Error log might have some clues?

i use visual studio (2012 to be exact). if you think you can do some basic debugging i will make debug build on monday and you can try attach to it (or you can do the build for yourself if you feel strong). when the blackbox stops responding you simply break the execution in debugger and look at the callstack(s). that will give us another clues.

#24 E-xecutive

E-xecutive

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:13 AM

I no longer think Intel is the underlying issue, even though the problem is *apparently* (i.e. seems) to be triggered by the Intel driver.

Hi! I think the problem may be triggered not surely "by" but in close relationship with some Intel dlls.

Just try out this method:

1) Download the Sysinternals Autoruns and run it on the PC where problem occurs;

2) Wait a minute for Autoruns analyzing your OS;

3) Inside the Autoruns press 'Ctrl+S' and save the current state,

4) still there, open the "Explorer" tab and look down the whole "Publisher" column,

5) uncheck all the boxes where "Intel Corporation" is for Publisher;

6) Also look in the "Sidebar Gadgets" for other elements (not Intel), uncheck if any;

7) Close the Autoruns and reboot.

• mojmir likes this

#25 ysg

ysg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:12 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the great work.

Some test results, 

1) On Windows 8.1 x64 installation. You have to run the setup as admin or it does not set the shell, or you have to run bsetshell as admin later for it to work.

2) On the right click menu, when you hover mouser over items, i get a tiny flicker sometimes.

3) If you run explorer.exe then explorer is set as shell again.

• pitkon likes this

#26 ysg

ysg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:32 AM

Some applications, especially Microsoft Lync 2013, drop a shadow behind on the screen when it is dragged, disabling bbleanskin fixes this

For the flicker i mentioned, it happens when i hover my mouse over the seperator, setting seperater to flat fixes this

btw, is there a workaround for explorer.exe setting itself as shell when launched? (i guess this happens when you set blackbox shell for invidiual users, if you set for all users, it seems to not happen i guess not %100 sure)

google chrome browser window menu bar has problems, again disabling bbleanskin or using exclusions fixes this :)

#27 ysg

ysg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:46 AM

When browsing through the start > programs > etc menu, if there is a scrollbar, and when the little square which shows the scroll position overlaps the selected folders little triangle, it couses some strange redraws

i guess that triangle is the bullet, and a workaround is to disable either the bullet or the scrollbar position.

#28 ysg

ysg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:30 PM

right alt + right click on slit, quicklaunch or worspace switcher crashes blackbox

btw hwo can i remove A,B,C workspaces from the desktop?

I dont want to use workspaces, i would also like to be able to remove workspace name from the bar, as there is only 1

#29 scruffty

scruffty

Ancient Data

• VIP Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:35 PM

All the above mentioned problems are due to the nesting feature in 8.1 that MS continues to say they are correcting.Smarter guys then myself are on the problem.Don't blame Blackbox..Winstep Nexus and other programs share this difficulty.Mojmir is doing the heavy lifting for us although he has to be a saint this is so frustrating.God help the work-arounds.This is what happens when a operating system has a full functioning subsystem that kicks in at will.

• pitkon likes this

#30 mojmir

mojmir

BB Developer

• Moderators
  • 254 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:43 PM

Some applications, especially Microsoft Lync 2013, drop a shadow behind on the screen when it is dragged, disabling bbleanskin fixes this

For the flicker i mentioned, it happens when i hover my mouse over the seperator, setting seperater to flat fixes this

btw, is there a workaround for explorer.exe setting itself as shell when launched? (i guess this happens when you set blackbox shell for invidiual users, if you set for all users, it seems to not happen i guess not %100 sure)

google chrome browser window menu bar has problems, again disabling bbleanskin or using exclusions fixes this :)

- shadows: never noticed this, will have to reproduce

- flicker: the separator itself flicker? maybe i just saw it... just a tiny flickering

- not sure at all, i almost never run as shell. will try on some rainy day

- yes, use exclusion. there is not much we can do with this new fashion of drawing custom frames.

When browsing through the start > programs > etc menu, if there is a scrollbar, and when the little square which shows the scroll position overlaps the selected folders little triangle, it couses some strange redraws

i guess that triangle is the bullet, and a workaround is to disable either the bullet or the scrollbar position.

- yes, it seems the scrollbar is placed over bullets. have to debug it.

right alt + right click on slit, quicklaunch or worspace switcher crashes blackbox

btw hwo can i remove A,B,C workspaces from the desktop?

I dont want to use workspaces, i would also like to be able to remove workspace name from the bar, as there is only 1

- just wanted to fix the crash first but i cannot reproduce it at home.. will try in work tomorrow

- blackbox.rc

session.screen0.workspaces: 1 session.screen0.workspacesX: 1 session.screen0.workspacesY: 1 - in plugins/BlackboxBar/BlackboxBar.rc remove all buttons related to workspaces

• pitkon likes this

#31 mojmir

mojmir

BB Developer

• Moderators
  • 254 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:00 PM

ad crash: oh i know what went wrong.. this is a piece of code i forgot to merge form bb4win. somewhere deep inside i knew this will boomerang ;)

• diabol likes this

#32 diabol

diabol

Lazyass

• Validating
  • 236 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:20 PM

ad crash: oh i know what went wrong.. this is a piece of code i forgot to merge form bb4win. somewhere deep inside i knew this will boomerang ;)

that's the spirit :D

#33 runcmd

runcmd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:57 PM

This is my first post, and it is about reporting bugs that I found out today while configuring and running BBzero.

•  I have noticed that there is a problem with bbIconBox. When you ctrl+<right_mouse> on one fo the bbIconBox windows, then BB crashes
  • Notification area seems to not work. I do not get any notifications.
  • In Menu I have 2 places when it displays the window name. At the top and the bottom of the menu for each menu or submenu window that you will open

This is all what I found for 1 day of playing with this. Please accept my apologizes if that was already posted somewhere else.

Thanks,

runcmd

• diabol likes this

#34 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationAthens & Nafplio, Greece

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:26 AM

This is my first post, and it is about reporting bugs that I found out today while configuring and running BBzero.

•  I have noticed that there is a problem with bbIconBox. When you ctrl+<right_mouse> on one fo the bbIconBox windows, then BB crashes
  • Notification area seems to not work. I do not get any notifications.
  • In Menu I have 2 places when it displays the window name. At the top and the bottom of the menu for each menu or submenu window that you will open

This is all what I found for 1 day of playing with this. Please accept my apologizes if that was already posted somewhere else.

Thanks,

runcmd

1. Yes, this has been reported before and will be taken care of.

2. Strange, I do get notifications. But then, I use XP.

3. This is no bug, this is the menu.grip, one of the new stuff that first appeared on XZero450's 1.16 build. It can be styled differently than the menu.title, which means more options to enjoy :)

#35 runcmd

runcmd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:14 PM

1,3 - ok, thanks :)

2 - I'm using Windows 7 with pure BB without explorer, and I do not get any notifications, nor system or outlook. Lync is appearing but in totally different place. When I turn on the explorer I get all the notifications. I tried to use BBMessageBox but that does not work. I do not want to use explorer since it is loading all the explorer things, like background, toolbar, and other stuff that I do not need. I have checked that SENS is running, but might be dependent on explorer. I'm not sure if SENS can be replaced by anything, or why it is not working. Do you know how can I debug that?

#36 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:37 PM

I am sure Mojmir will find a solution. Didn't notice it when I tested it on XP because I was getting notifications like before. Should have tried it on my 7 machine as well :yes:

#37 Pheonix-Rising

Pheonix-Rising

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:36 PM

I have been trying to move the Task bar at the bottom of the Screen to the top of the Srceen So i can move Rocket Dock to the Bottom of the Screen. How do I do this, I Checked the Menus and was unable to find how to do this. I have also noticed in certain apps that I have a screen flutter, How do I fix this?

Attached Files

#38 xDemonessx

xDemonessx

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:25 PM

All the above mentioned problems are due to the nesting feature in 8.1 that MS continues to say they are correcting.Smarter guys then myself are on the problem.Don't blame Blackbox..Winstep Nexus and other programs share this difficulty.Mojmir is doing the heavy lifting for us although he has to be a saint this is so frustrating.God help the work-arounds.This is what happens when a operating system has a full functioning subsystem that kicks in at will.

Jeez, I had no idea Win 8 would prove to be this difficult to work with. This is pretty educational, and I would consider donating :$: to the blackbox cause if this is what it takes to get it to work right! I can't code myself out of a paper bag though :(

I have been trying to move the Task bar at the bottom of the Screen to the top of the Srceen So i can move Rocket Dock to the Bottom of the Screen. How do I do this, I Checked the Menus and was unable to find how to do this. I have also noticed in certain apps that I have a screen flutter, How do I fix this?

May want to post in the blackbox help section or search there before asking! Sounds like you may need a quick read through on the documentation. Try ctrl+right clicking the bar itself, and looking under "placement".

#39 Pheonix-Rising

Pheonix-Rising

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:58 AM

I promise you that I will read the Help topics before posting any questions from here on end And thank you for the Information I would never have figured it out because I thought the problem was a big one not a simple little button click

• pitkon likes this

#40 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:02 AM

I promise you that I will read the Help topics before posting any questions from here on end And thank you for the Information I would never have figured it out because I thought the problem was a big one not a simple little button click

There is an even quicker way to move the bar around. Press Ctrl, grab it with the mouse pointer and drag it to wherever. But, like xDemonessx says, please post future queries that have nothing to do with 1.18 bugs to our Help section. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users