6 replies to this topic

#1 technorati

technorati

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:01 AM

I am using the BlackboxZero(Beta) 1.17.2-109-g1592-dirty version of bblean and Mozilla Thunderbird 24.3. (the latest)

Thunderbird totally ignores everything such as theme and style, but, most annoyingly, it is not respecting

the desktop margins I have set. I am hoping somebody can try and help me sort the problem out or tell me

whether there is a better email client software which will do smtp, pop3 and IMAP that will behave itself when

on a BB machine. I would prefer to sort the problem out with Thunderbird if possible though,

Thanks in advance for any replies

#2 meanmechanics

meanmechanics

Troll

• VIP Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:56 AM

By experience I know that mozilla software (their stupid toolbar buttons X<) are not supported and by experience again, all software with their own window skinning are not supported by bbleanskin...but that's only my personal experience with multiple software. 

As for another mail client, I've tried a bunch and right below thunderbird you have sylpheed (there's a new version out), seamonkey (:( mozilla), operamail (I'm not sure if it work with bbleanskin but pitkon use opera browser and by deduction [I'ma cheap sherlock] : I don't see pete using a software that he can't skin)

My personnal advice exclude the damn thing or do like me remove all window decoration.

Last, I don't have trouble with desktop margins and thunderbird...may be it's something else than thunderbird. I'm afraid I haven't been of great help :(

www.survivingmauritius.com

#3 technorati

technorati

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:09 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yeah even if I exclude it it still doesnt recognise the margins I set to prevent toolbar overlap. I will look into those email clients. Palemoon, which is a firefox fork is really good and accepts bblean if you set the menu bar to show

on firefox, however that doesnt work with thunderbird

slypheed sounds interesting - will take a look thanks

• technorati likes this

#4 diabol

diabol

Lazyass

• Validating
  • 236 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:17 AM

Edit: Maybe you can try a different theme?

No glass looks promising

Well, I know where this problem is coming from technically, but unfortunately I don't have a solution for it yet.

It is now common practice for fancy UIs to use the Aero features of blending the non-client area (frame and border) of their windows with the client area (controls such as buttons, location, quick access or search bars).

This works well when aero is turned on, but fails when aero is turned off.

But there is a way to draw fancy windows without aero: by turning off the non-client area and faking it.

If you turn off the non-client area, you have to do a lot of common window-related tasks yourself (resizing borders, drawing the toolbar with it's buttons, system menu, etc.) and as an extra quirk, windows without non-client area are always fully maximized.

Which would, as you can experience, suck for thunderbird, so how do they prevent that?

I don't know. What I do know is that they are faking it. Probably they look for some margin which explorer sets but bb doesn't or bb doesn't set borders correctly.

Well, with all that said I have no fix in hand.

Also last time I tried sylpheed, it sucked. Only allowed to either sync all of my +13k emails or show me none.

• technorati likes this

#5 diabol

diabol

Lazyass

• Validating
  • 236 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

Also, thunderbird works fine for me on Windows 7 with Aero enabled and disabled.

I have a bbleanbar on the top which the settings "always on top" and "set desktop margin" enabled and "auto hide" disabled which is the default I believe.

There are related options in Blackbox -> Configuration -> Misc -> Desktop margins. I have everything set to auto and "Full Mazimation" is disabled, which is also the default I believe.

• technorati likes this

#6 technorati

technorati

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:04 PM

Thank you I really appreciate the time you took to answer my post, I really do. I will look more closely at what you have written when I have more time to examine the problem.I very much appreciate this line you wrote

"Well, I know where this problem is coming from technically, but unfortunately I don't have a solution for it yet."

I fix computer problems too and sometimes you know the answer but not how to fix it, I get that!

Once again TY I am certain your posts will help me to either fix it or to at least live with it a while

#7 meanmechanics

meanmechanics

Troll

• VIP Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

In my first answer I omitted to mention a way to modify thunderbird because I wasn't sure it was possible, I'm still unsure but may be someone else can pick up where my thoughts achieved their limit. I was thinking that you may modify userChrome.css to make TB "reduce" the non client area etc. I'm not this techny, I'm just the usual kiddie, until now I've only removed the appmenu in firefox by following this : http://support.mozil...uestions/986532

When Diabol mentioned the non client area I thought that may be If you could tweak the padding in css this would solve the problem, I tried to google up a way of doing this but it is way out of my reach. Here are some research I already done... if it can help:

http://forums.mozill...?f=39&t=2436557

http://kb.mozillazin...s&printable=yes

http://www.eriwen.co...erbirds-chrome/

• pitkon likes this

www.survivingmauritius.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users