Photo

Spam Folders: How Counter-Productive can they be?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationAthens & Nafplio, Greece

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:33 AM

Here on Blackbox4Windows, about 5 members register daily and they become validating members. We send them a validation e-mail to make sure they are not robots/spammers and, as it turns out, most of those e-mails end up in their spam folder which they don't even bother to check. Which means, after 4 weeks, they are automatically deleted from out user data basis and we all lose. At the time being, there are over 40 validating members who have not replied to our validation e-mail. And this number grows daily - until some of them are deleted.

It's a pity, because as a striving community we can't afford to lose a single member - and I am sure all of these guys would like to come aboard and enjoy their shell of choice.

If anyone can think of a way to overcome this problem and beat the spam folder system, we would love to hear it. Any idea may turn out to be helpful...

• Paz likes this

#2 Paz

Paz

Staff Member

• Moderators
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

Here on Blackbox4Windows, about 5 members register daily and they become validating members. We send them a validation e-mail to make sure they are not robots/spammers and, as it turns out, most of those e-mails end up in their spam folder which they don't even bother to check. Which means, after 4 weeks, they are automatically deleted from out user data basis and we all lose. At the time being, there are over 40 validating members who have not replied to our validation e-mail. And this number grows daily - until some of them are deleted.

It's a pity, because as a striving community we can't afford to lose a single member - and I am sure all of these guys would like to come aboard and enjoy their shell of choice.

If anyone can think of a way to overcome this problem and beat the spam folder system, we would love to hear it. Any idea may turn out to be helpful...

The only way I know how to avoid  my expected E-mails to ends up in spam folder, is to add the address to my contacts safe list.  

Maybe you can write something like : " To ensure OUR VALIDATION email will  not end up in your spam folder, please add <LINK OF THE SITE> to your safe sender list or address book " to the registration page.

In that way, at least those who do read instructions will get it right.. :wink:

• pitkon likes this

#3 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationAthens & Nafplio, Greece

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

Splendid idea, Paz. We can add this to our initial-after-registration e-mail :) Thank you!

• Paz likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users