• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Zensuis

Zensuis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:51 AM

So I installed bbLean about 2-3 years ago (And I can't recall the version).  Set it as a shell and customized the theme/menus and stuck with it since then.

Just recently went to edit the menus in order to match a new theme I was going to use and found that none of them are visible upon open.  This inncludes menu.rc, blackbox.rc, extensions.rc, plugins.rc, bbkeys.rc, bb_crim-test and bbLeanBar.rc.  Whichever I open actually loads (As I can see it on the bbLeanBar) but I can't visibly see it itself (Nothing shows up).

Blackbox is unfamilar territory for me so I'm willing to try anything aswell as re-installing (With clear enough instructions).

Any ideas?

#2 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationAthens & Nafplio, Greece

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

I can think of some reasons, but can you post your blackbox.rc contents here, please?

#3 Zensuis

Zensuis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:35 PM

Sure thing

# ------------------------------------------ # bblean 1.17 - blackbox.rc - basic settings # Lines starting with # or ! are ignored # All items are configurable from the menu # - the toolbar - session.screen0.toolbar.enabled: false session.screen0.toolbar.placement: BottomCenter session.screen0.toolbar.widthPercent: 66 session.screen0.toolbar.onTop: true session.screen0.toolbar.autoHide: false session.screen0.toolbar.pluginToggle: true session.screen0.toolbar.alpha.enabled: false session.screen0.toolbar.alpha.value: 224 # - the menu - session.menu.position.x: 693 session.menu.position.y: 85 session.menu.maxWidth: 300 session.menu.popupDelay: 100 session.menu.mouseWheelFactor: 3 session.menu.alpha.enabled: false session.menu.alpha.value: 216 session.menu.onTop: false session.menu.sticky: true session.menu.snapWindow: true session.menu.pluginToggle: true session.menu.openDirection: bullet session.menu.sortbyExtension: true session.menu.drawSeparators: true session.menu.dropShadows: false # - the slit - session.screen0.slit.placement: TopRight session.screen0.slit.direction: Horizontal session.screen0.slit.autoHide: false session.screen0.slit.ontop: true session.screen0.slit.toggle: false # - other options - session.screen0.workspaces: 1 session.screen0.workspacenames: alpha,beta,gamma,delta session.screen0.focusModel: ClickToFocus session.screen0.fullMaximization: false session.screen0.strftimeformat: %H:%M %a %d %b session.autoraisedelay: 250 session.opaqueMove: true session.imageDither: true # - menu & style - session.menufile: menu.rc session.styleFile: stylesbb_crimbb_crim-test

#4 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:14 PM

OK, let's try this.

Add to the menu section:

session.menu.positionAdjust.placement   default

Edit the other options section:

session.screen0.fullMaximization:       true

#5 Zensuis

Zensuis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

Edited it but to no avail, the menus are still not visible.  Any other ideas?

#6 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

Have to go, I am afraid, but I will be back with this tomorrow... This issue, however, may have to do with this new theme you were going to use. Have you tried dropping on the desktop a new style from your file browser? More tomorrow...

#7 Zensuis

Zensuis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

By theme I was talking about the colors/such to match my new wallpaper/etc, nothing file wise, my bad.

As for styles I did just try switching to another two styles I had on hand and the menus remained invisible.  Thanks for the help so far and hopefully we can knock this out tomorrow.

#8 diabol

diabol

Lazyass

• Validating
  • 236 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:26 PM

You can narrow it down piece-wise.

Blackbox doesn't require any configuration or external files to run, they are all optional (in the good old mingw builds anyways - we'll get back to that).

To get a 'clean install':

1.) create a new folder (bb-test or whatever)

2.) copy blackbox.exe from your installation into that folder

3.) launch blackbox.exe from there

3.1) make sure the menu is visible by default (if it isn't, you're screwed for now)

From here the procedure is:

1.) Kill blackbox

2.) add a file from your original folder to the test folder

3.) start blackbox from the test folder

4.) and see if menu still shows up

4.1) if it does, repeat

4.2) if it doesn't, the file you have just copied is the offender

If you have found the offending file, you can narrow down the problem zone inside the file in a similar way.

Comment out all the options in the file by putting a # in front of the option.

Next, uncomment them block by block and see if the menu disappears after restarting blackbox.

I have to admit that this method is crude, but then again it requires zero effort on my part :D

Also you can apply this sort of problem search for a lot of things.

And if you use a binary search approach, you can keep the number of restarts down to n*log(n)! (where n is the number of possibly offending configuration lines)

• pitkon likes this

#9 Zensuis

Zensuis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:36 PM

So after following your instructions I installed a fresh version of bbLean and started switching over the files.  None of the .rc files where the culprits, and narrowed it down to the bbnote config making bbnote not appear (Suprise suprise).

Compared the two files (from the fresh install and the old install) and found that for some reason the old install's coordinates (wx0, wy0, wx1, and wy1) where at absurd numbers such as 3454 and so on.  Quick adjustments and now I can see the bbnote rc files again, no problem.

Thanks for all the help the both of you, now I can get back to editing :D.

• pitkon likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users