160 replies to this topic

#61 mojmir

mojmir

BB Developer

• Moderators
  • 254 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:50 AM

meanmechanics:

as Jonathan mentioned you need the redistributables. at least for now.

2. Whenever I maximize excel and restore it back bblean bar disappear, I have to right click or press mod to have it back.

any other applications that do this? i have no excel, i cannot try that.

3. I don't know if it's me or else but it seems to me that start up time has increase.

this is possible, i did not do any performance related stuff (profiling, more heavy optimization, ltcg etc).

or maybe you can do some preliminary profiling with procmon.exe and see what takes the time... handling procmon is easy

#62 diabol

diabol

Lazyass

• Validating
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:29 PM

the maximized excel stuff sounds familiar. i have this sometimes with fullscreen games (bb correctly detects fullscreen app, but doesnt restore)

as for blackbox startup times, true true.

It does feel kind of sluggish when it first comes up and when it renders folder menus for the first time.

This is not really a problem with the speed which bb itself loads, but the former has to do with the autostart crap which ends up in your systemtray which for some reason every now and again blocks bb when it loads and the latter has to do with the way icons are loaded..

Icons go through the shell api, so they all use the normal windows loader. It takes about 10-100ms to load an icon first the first time, afterwards they get cached.

20 links in a folder take about 2 seconds to appear (unless you have an ssd) after a reboot.

Both of these problems can be solved with deferred loading (which I will implement sometime soon, promise).

Instead of doing these costly operations in a blocking manner, we push them into a background thread and when stuff becomes available, the background thread notifies the foreground thread.

As for the msvc dependencies.. I agree with mojmir, the most important thing right now is to make development easier.

Clean up and document the code, make it pretty in a modern IDE.

Once we have something which we can call stable again we can start optimizing stuff, shaving off bytes etc.

#63 meanmechanics

meanmechanics

Troll

• VIP Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

@meanmechanics: You need http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=30679

:)  Glad to see you are still around.

Attached File  vcr.png   9.79KB   7 downloads

This is something I noticed and done a long time ago [may be since xoblite rc3...or your own first build] as you can see in the ss, but [my fault] I neglected reporting. As I told Diabol it may be my own tempering with windows.....???? because I never heard somebody else complaining about this issue.

www.survivingmauritius.com

#64 meanmechanics

meanmechanics

Troll

• VIP Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:32 PM

the maximized excel stuff sounds familiar. i have this sometimes with fullscreen games (bb correctly detects fullscreen app, but doesnt restore)

as for blackbox startup times, true true.

It does feel kind of sluggish when it first comes up and when it renders folder menus for the first time.

This is not really a problem with the speed which bb itself loads, but the former has to do with the autostart crap which ends up in your systemtray which for some reason every now and again blocks bb when it loads and the latter has to do with the way icons are loaded..

Icons go through the shell api, so they all use the normal windows loader. It takes about 10-100ms to load an icon first the first time, afterwards they get cached.

20 links in a folder take about 2 seconds to appear (unless you have an ssd) after a reboot.

True, true :yes: "

20 links in a folder take about 2 seconds to appear.." I remembered afterward that I usually disable icons in menu...

"but the former has to do with the autostart crap which ends up in your systemtray which for some reason every now and again blocks bb when it loads and the latter has to do with the way icons are loaded.."

I was going to report this but was never sure how to formulate, I only noticed that if I load explorer as "shell" tray seem faster than in bb.

meanmechanics:

as Jonathan mentioned you need the redistributables. at least for now.

2. Whenever I maximize excel and restore it back bblean bar disappear, I have to right click or press mod to have it back.

any other applications that do this? i have no excel, i cannot try that.

3. I don't know if it's me or else but it seems to me that start up time has increase.

this is possible, i did not do any performance related stuff (profiling, more heavy optimization, ltcg etc).

or maybe you can do some preliminary profiling with procmon.exe and see what takes the time... handling procmon is easy

I'm a long time user of process hacker...

I already got rid of things in start up (e.g. adobe reader, one note, quick time etc) but rainmeter (reduce to only one script that is only in activity when I plug a pen drive), autohotkey scripts (i use a single script that launch 3 other scripts), bluetooth and evernote lug to start and slow down bb...

#65 diabol

diabol

Lazyass

• Validating
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:06 PM

well, maybe now is the time to at least defer the autostart stuff..

it shouldn't be hard to implement and i don't think it's easy to implement it wrong, since that stuff is meant to load asynchronously anyways.

#66 diabol

diabol

Lazyass

• Validating
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:36 PM

err, seems to be more complicated than i thought, bb already loads startup stuff deferred.

gotta find out what takes so long :)

#67 XZero450

XZero450

VIP

• VIP Member
  • 28 posts
  • LocationCentral Wisconsin

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:15 PM

:)  Glad to see you are still around.

Posted Imagevcr.png

This is something I noticed and done a long time ago [may be since xoblite rc3...or your own first build] as you can see in the ss, but [my fault] I neglected reporting. As I told Diabol it may be my own tempering with windows.....???? because I never heard somebody else complaining about this issue.

Have you installed the x86 runtimes as well?

I will be around forever.. It's just a matter of finding me. ;)

#68 meanmechanics

meanmechanics

Troll

• VIP Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:53 PM

You are hard to find. :)

Just installed! Seem to solve this issue. Though I don't use bbleanskin it's nice to know that I Can. Yes I can :D

• eternal likes this

#69 XZero450

XZero450

VIP

• VIP Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:58 AM

what do you mean?

btw: we'd need probably some fancy stuff from you, dear Jonathan. Pete is persistent with split diagonals and mirrored horizonts ;) what we will do about it? :)

I mean fancy stuff, like making popcorn, doing the dishes, and paying the bills. :D

Yes.. I will make them my first project.. Gradients + finish breaking StyleMaker.. Sound good?

• pitkon likes this

#70 diabol

diabol

Lazyass

• Validating
  • 236 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:40 AM

I mean fancy stuff, like making popcorn, doing the dishes, and paying the bills. :D

Yes.. I will make them my first project.. Gradients + finish breaking StyleMaker.. Sound good?

first fix it, then break it real bad - that's the golden rule :D

• pitkon likes this

#71 mojmir

mojmir

BB Developer

• Moderators
  • 254 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

Sounds AWESOME :D

• pitkon and meanmechanics like this

#72 mojmir

mojmir

BB Developer

• Moderators
  • 254 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:44 AM

About this well:
Posted ImageUntitled-1.png

i installed xp 64 professional sp1 in virtual and the installer it works perfectly.

(version 5.2.3790 sp1 build 3790)

what xp do you have exactly, tordenflesk?

when exactly the problem you describe appears?

• pitkon likes this

#73 meanmechanics

meanmechanics

Troll

• VIP Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:11 PM

Hello everybody!

I'm not sure this belong here but from deduction it should. I mean this build is released with plugins...

To be short bbfoomp has...hmm...misconception??error ?? bug??

Basically foobar2000 is natively a 32 bit software but the plugin bbfoomp "calls" foobar2000.exe in the 64bit folder of program files. I'm sorry if I'm not clear but my knowledge is very sparse in this field.

Thanks 

#74 mojmir

mojmir

BB Developer

• Moderators
  • 254 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

ad bbfoomp: it surely is misbehaving :)

i am a foobar2000 user so it's just a matter of time until i get to it. same applies to bbfooman.

#75 mojmir

mojmir

BB Developer

• Moderators
  • 254 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:51 PM

i fixed bbFoomp on devel branch.

there are still minor bugs, but for me it's working a bit and it does not crashes blackbox.

wild stuff there: there was a timer function that tried to write to rc file with empty path, so it wanted to report the error, but in the deferred message box the timer kicked in again, and again and again.. so you could observe a never ending tide of message boxes. lovely.

• pitkon and diabol like this

#76 diabol

diabol

Lazyass

• Validating
  • 236 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

ahhh yes, the joy of pulling in and maintaining the sources of some 40+ plugins of which who knows how many were written in a drunk and/or delirious state and left untouched ever since :)

#77 mojmir

mojmir

BB Developer

• Moderators
  • 254 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

:D

well one sometimes is surprised ;) bbMuse has a habit to returning pointer to a variables that were on stack :D oh the joy!

maybe i'll try some run static analysis on blackbox..

#78 mojmir

mojmir

BB Developer

• Moderators
  • 254 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:50 PM

latest build:Attached File  install.rar   18.97MB   77 downloads

sorry kinda fell asleep while doing that one ;)

what's new:

• installer installs the redistributables automatically (main reason for this build)
  • fixed bbfoomp
  • added few new music plugins, namely:
    • bbFooMan: not sure if it works and how
    • bbMuse: seems to be working at least with winamp 5
    • bbPlayer: ugh. do not remember trying that one
    • bbSeekBar: does not work with foobar anymore. i put in new sdk but it's one problem after another.
  • Jonathan added more plugins, but i did not plugged them yet (will try asap)

#79 XZero450

XZero450

VIP

• VIP Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:56 PM

You do not have permission to view this attachment. :(

#80 diabol

diabol

Lazyass

• Validating