• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 firewater

firewater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:24 AM

I don't know if this happens to anybody else, but it does to me and it compromises one of the most basic things a desktop is made of.

Right click on an image > Set as desktop background is not working for me. It seems that this option is related to the explorer.exe shell because when I use it on a picture the background doesnt change while running bblean, but if I swtich to explorer.exe as main shell and log out/in I get the picture I had previously set as background. And once I'm back on bblean I get the one I had on bblean, so they are pretty much exclusive to each shell.

Drag and drop is a great idea, the problem is that it stretches the image to your resolution and most of the time this is a problem because the ratio is never the same and the image gets all messed up. In fact, images that are meant to be used as a pattern to form a background don't work at all because of this. As far as I know there is no way to make the picture retain It's original size unless you set the background via text on the style.rc file. The problem with this method is that it ends up being way too time consuming for some of us who have big libraries of backgrounds organized among many folders and like to change them constantly because you have to look up the file name and location every time (and in my case I have file names hidden for pictures by default so that's another step I have to go through) and go to the style.rc file and change it just to see how it looks.

In conclusion, it would be great if you could enable a method that allows you to set a file as background without it being resized. Maybe some setting could be added under the blackbox > configuration > graphics menu so you can choose what drag and drop does (stretch/center/pattern).

• pitkon likes this

#2 Desutorakuta

Desutorakuta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:49 AM

It is crutch for comfort work. Not a solution. It is possible to disable the built-in wallpaper manager by option "blackbox.background.enabled: false" in "extension.rc". Thereafter BlackBox work with standard windows wallpaper, ie "set as wallpaper" menu item starts work. I use auto switch program for windows XP with bbclean - it's worked.

• pitkon likes this

#3 firewater

firewater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:45 AM

Hey thanks for your reply. I added that line to extension.rc, but right click > set as desktop background is not working for me. I tried enabling/disabling enable background and smart wallpaper under blackbox > configuration > graphics but it still doesn't work.

Running Windows 8.

#4 mojmir

mojmir

BB Developer

• Moderators
  • 254 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:55 AM

http://blackbox4wind...age-3#entry1939 ?

#5 firewater

firewater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:45 PM

I looked at that and didn't understand much, but one of the resplies talked about setting bblean.exe on startup by adding it to the startup folder instead of setting it as root. If you do this, you can change wallpapers with the traditional right click > set as desktop background method, so that's good hehe.

My conerns now are: 1. not having bblean as root may make some features not work properly 2. I think Windows reduces the quality of images when you set them as wallpaper (bblean did not) and 3. I think I'm gonna have to install one of those start menu restorers as the metro menu is still here (appears when I start up the computer and on the corners).

edit: biggest problem is the quality being downgraded. I googled a little and it seems that Windows always degrades the quality if the image is a .jpg so you gotta turn them into .png, but it's quite tedious to do this when you have hundreds of wallpapers (and there are more to come). I think if you could just add the option on bblean to make backgrounds be centered or patterned instead of always stretched that would be huge because bblean doesn't degrade the quality.

#6 WhiteWK

WhiteWK

• Validating
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:03 PM

I don't know if this happens to anybody else, but it does to me and it compromises one of the most basic things a desktop is made of.

Right click on an image > Set as desktop background is not working for me. It seems that this option is related to the explorer.exe shell because when I use it on a picture the background doesnt change while running bblean, but if I swtich to explorer.exe as main shell and log out/in I get the picture I had previously set as background. And once I'm back on bblean I get the one I had on bblean, so they are pretty much exclusive to each shell.

Drag and drop is a great idea, the problem is that it stretches the image to your resolution and most of the time this is a problem because the ratio is never the same and the image gets all messed up. In fact, images that are meant to be used as a pattern to form a background don't work at all because of this. As far as I know there is no way to make the picture retain It's original size unless you set the background via text on the style.rc file. The problem with this method is that it ends up being way too time consuming for some of us who have big libraries of backgrounds organized among many folders and like to change them constantly because you have to look up the file name and location every time (and in my case I have file names hidden for pictures by default so that's another step I have to go through) and go to the style.rc file and change it just to see how it looks.

In conclusion, it would be great if you could enable a method that allows you to set a file as background without it being resized. Maybe some setting could be added under the blackbox > configuration > graphics menu so you can choose what drag and drop does (stretch/center/pattern).

I was trying to solve this little issue and found simple way to fix this, hope it will help you too. =) Simple way is to change the Context Menu from Windows default option: "Set as desktop background"  I'm using Default Programs Editor > http://defaultprogramseditor.com/  

So.. you need to change context menu from all images extension on your wallpaper folder like *.jpg,*.png.... and change the parameter option from "Set as desktop background" to point location on your bsetroot.exe plus the variable "%1" (Image Location). Like this "C:bbzerobsetroot.exe" -full "%1". /Edit I found some glitches when set image as a background, because the resolution of the image is more than my laptop resolution so I need to convert it to respective format.

• pitkon, mojmir and firewater like this

#7 sed

sed

VIP

• Moderators
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio U.S.A.

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:05 PM

Another great post!! :)

• pitkon likes this

#8 firewater

firewater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:54 AM

I was trying to solve this little issue and found simple way to fix this, hope it will help you too. =) Simple way is to change the Context Menu from Windows default option: "Set as desktop background"  I'm using Default Programs Editor > http://defaultprogramseditor.com/  

So.. you need to change context menu from all images extension on your wallpaper folder like *.jpg,*.png.... and change the parameter option from "Set as desktop background" to point location on your bsetroot.exe plus the variable "%1" (Image Location). Like this "C:bbzerobsetroot.exe" -full "%1". /Edit I found some glitches when set image as a background, because the resolution of the image is more than my laptop resolution so I need to convert it to respective format.

I'll try this! Thank you!!

edit: Works great, thanks!!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wallpaper, background

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users