Photo

W8.1 How du you have different wallpapers for multiple monitors?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 shrimpfarmer

shrimpfarmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:14 PM

I have 2 monitors and 2 bbleanbars. How do I make different wallpapers for them? Currently I have this as my background in my style and it applies for both monitors.:

rootCommand: bsetroot -tile C:bbLeanwp275196-2560x1440.jpg -vdesk

Thanks

#2 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationAthens & Nafplio, Greece

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:15 PM

Use NC-17's bbstyle  :) It's in the plugins section.

#3 shrimpfarmer

shrimpfarmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:39 PM

Use NC-17's bbstyle  :) It's in the plugins section.

His download links are dead: http://www.lostinthe...ile.php?id=2429

What does bbstyle do exactly? I don't have it.

#4 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:49 PM

His download links are dead: http://www.lostinthe...ile.php?id=2429

What does bbstyle do exactly? I don't have it.

ALL BB plugins are in our downloads/plugins section, like I said before. http://blackbox4wind...pic/136-styles/

As for what it does, read its help file (in html format) It's very useful.

#5 shrimpfarmer

shrimpfarmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:59 PM

ALL BB plugins are in our downloads/plugins section, like I said before. http://blackbox4wind...pic/136-styles/

As for what it does, read its help file (in html format) It's very useful.

All right I've installed it and i get a little box (can you hide it?). I only see stuff like change style on timer and apply random style, I don't understand how I can change the wallpaper (style) on only one monitor though. Maybe I'm being stupid, I don't know.

#6 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:03 PM

Have you read the instructions?

In order to have separate wallpapers on each workspace you must add some settings either to the[color=rgb(119,119,119);]bbstyle.rc[/color] file or to a specific style file. This lets you have different wallpaper settings for different styles. If the settings are not found in the current style file, it will use those in the .rc file, if any. For example: 

[color=rgb(187,187,187);]bbstyle.workspace1.rootCommand: [color=rgb(119,119,119);]bsetroot -solid black[/color] 
bbstyle.workspace2.rootCommand: [color=rgb(119,119,119);]bsetroot -mod 3 3 -fg #666666 -bg #333333[/color] 
bbstyle.workspace3.rootCommand: [color=rgb(119,119,119);]bsetroot -gradient verticalinterlaced -from rgb:00/00/00 -to rgb:99/99/99[/color] 
bbstyle.workspace4.rootCommand: [color=rgb(119,119,119);]bsetbg -full backgroundsmypicture.png[/color][/color]

Note these settings have to be sequential, without any gaps, from workspace1 to workspaceX, otherwise BBStyle will only use the settings up to the first gap. If no rootCommand is set for a particular workspace, the default style rootCommand is used.

Please note that BBStyle automatically saves the current running configuration when you quit or restart Blackbox, overwriting the previous contents of the file. In order to change this file easily restart Blackbox from the menu while holding down the Shift key, which will unload all plugins and display a message box telling you that the restart has been paused. Now make your changes to the file and save, then click OK on the message box to continue the restart. BBStyle will now read your manually edited settings.

And the button can't be hidden, AFAIK...

#7 shrimpfarmer

shrimpfarmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:13 PM

Yes I read that but when I apply it, I only get black screen on both monitors and the bbstyle.rc removes the commands. When I set read-only I only get black screens. And what, are you supposed to have that button there all the time, whats the point with that?

Sorry for complaining and thank you for helping.

#8 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:20 PM

If you followed instructions faithfully, it should work. Sorry, I'm afraid I can't help any further. The button is there for changing styles randomly.

You know, of course, that using different walls on different monitors is easy in Win8 - Just go to the Personalization menu and choose desktop background. Right click on any images there and set them to your individual monitors.

#9 shrimpfarmer

shrimpfarmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:23 PM

If you followed instructions faithfully, it should work. Sorry, I'm afraid I can't help any further. The button is there for changing styles randomly.

You know, of course, that using different walls on different monitors is easy in Win8 - Just go to the Personalization menu and choose desktop background. Right click on any images there and set them to your individual monitors.

I can't do that because explorer is not integrated at all for me for some reason. I'm applying my wallpaper in my style. I can't set the wallpaper in the rightclick context menu on images anymore like I used to when I had windows 7, I don't know why.

Anyway thanks for the help, I'll see if I can get this thing working.

• pitkon likes this

#10 xDemonessx

xDemonessx

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:37 AM

Have you considered using http://dualmonitorto....net/index.html ?

#11 shrimpfarmer

shrimpfarmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:35 PM

Have you considered using http://dualmonitorto....net/index.html ?

Yes, but I can only set my wallpaper configuring bblean files.

#12 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:56 PM

Just realized you are probably using a 64-bit environment. bbstyle may not work there... :(

#13 mojmir

mojmir

BB Developer

• Moderators
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:16 AM

bbstyle is in a new bbzero build, although i do not know in what state it is :) but we can mend it

• pitkon likes this

#14 xDemonessx

xDemonessx

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:38 AM

Yes, but I can only set my wallpaper configuring bblean files.

:ermm: How is this possible? Cant you just disable setting your wallpaper within Configuration > Graphics > Uncheck enable wallpaper. Is it different for Windows 8?

#15 vernetzen

vernetzen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:55 AM

I think the problem is that most wallpaper managers(?) set them in a similar fashion to what Windows itself uses and that Win8 needs Explorer in some form or fashion to make most of them function.

When setting blackbox as shell and trying to load the wallpaper settings under the control panel you are given a "unable to load page" error if you don't have Explorer running on Win8.1. Surprising considering I don't recall having this issue under Win7, could have something to do with how they tie the same image to Metro windows and Metro relies Explorer as well?

The best way I found to counteract this was to make a version of the image(s) I want the exact resolution of the monitors and combine them, ex. 3840x1080(2x1080p monitors etc). This may not work with two different sized monitors and does require you to have a new image made but figured I would post just in case.

#16 shrimpfarmer

shrimpfarmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:38 PM

:ermm: How is this possible? Cant you just disable setting your wallpaper within Configuration > Graphics > Uncheck enable wallpaper. Is it different for Windows 8?

I just get a black background when i do that and nothing happens when i apply wallpaper from the right click context menu. The explorer doesnt seem to be integrated like it used to be on windows 7. I worked fine for me then.

I think the problem is that most wallpaper managers(?) set them in a similar fashion to what Windows itself uses and that Win8 needs Explorer in some form or fashion to make most of them function.

When setting blackbox as shell and trying to load the wallpaper settings under the control panel you are given a "unable to load page" error if you don't have Explorer running on Win8.1. Surprising considering I don't recall having this issue under Win7, could have something to do with how they tie the same image to Metro windows and Metro relies Explorer as well?

The best way I found to counteract this was to make a version of the image(s) I want the exact resolution of the monitors and combine them, ex. 3840x1080(2x1080p monitors etc). This may not work with two different sized monitors and does require you to have a new image made but figured I would post just in case.

Yes exactly, the explorer isnt integrated for some reason like it used to in windows 7 i think. How can I solve this problem?

#17 xDemonessx

xDemonessx

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:33 PM

I just get a black background when i do that and nothing happens when i apply wallpaper from the right click context menu. The explorer doesnt seem to be integrated like it used to be on windows 7. I worked fine for me then.

Yes exactly, the explorer isnt integrated for some reason like it used to in windows 7 i think. How can I solve this problem?

Hmm that's unfortunate. The only other workaround would probably involve some photoshop skills.

#18 mojmir

mojmir

BB Developer

• Moderators
  • 254 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:35 AM

hmm, maybe that is the problem the users of win8.x are reporting: they cannot change background.

i tried to reproduce it but i never run blackbox "as shell", so maybe that's why it always worked for me.. have to try it

(when i have my machine running again, my power source burned down yesterday)

#19 shrimpfarmer

shrimpfarmer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:32 AM

hmm, maybe that is the problem the users of win8.x are reporting: they cannot change background. i tried to reproduce it but i never run blackbox "as shell", so maybe that's why it always worked for me.. have to try it (when i have my machine running again, my power source burned down yesterday)

Yes exactly, do you think it's possible to fix this?

#20 mojmir

mojmir

BB Developer

• Moderators
  • 254 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:36 PM

no idea :) have to debug it first

• diabol likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users