18 replies to this topic

#1 mojmir

mojmir

BB Developer

• Moderators
  • 254 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:44 AM

hi everybody,

there is a new feature that i call bbSearch, that you could test if you'd like.

what does it do (short version): finds executable(s)

what does it do (longer version):

there is a new rc file search.rc. this is a list of locations to search. i configured some basic locations, like program files, windows etc.

bbsearch than finds all executables present in folders specified in search.rc, and creates a data structure optimized for prefix search. index will create two new files: programs.index and programs.props.

These files will be loaded next time and will spare you of another indexing, which may be slow-ish. especially on old hard drives.

bbSearch is integrated into menu, you can't miss it :)

So what does it do: you simply enter initial letters of your program ("tot" for example) and the bbsearch will spit out full path of executable for total commander.

Then you have option to simply run it, pin it to history or pin it to iconbox.

Note: First time bbSearch will run, the indexing will occur.. you can notice that the edit box has red background. This will last from few seconds up to minute or so (depending how fast your hard drive is).

Attached File  bbSearch_install_1.18.0-33-g2d5c_mojmir.rar   19.08MB   25 downloads

• pitkon and N3Cr0 like this

#2 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationAthens & Nafplio, Greece

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:16 PM

Amazing work, Moj. Guess it will be integrated in the new 1.18 build :)

#3 mojmir

mojmir

BB Developer

• Moderators
  • 254 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:19 PM

pin to iconbox seems not to work automaticaly, you have to manually create a directory named "search" in blackbox directory. and then create new iconbox from this path (ctrl+right on iconbox > new > browse and select this newly created directory). it should be automatic, but it's broken.

#4 mojmir

mojmir

BB Developer

• Moderators
  • 254 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:23 PM

Amazing work, Moj. Guess it will be integrated in the new 1.18 build :)

depends how stable and usable it will be :) if it goes well we can merge it into master.. but for now it's in another branch

#5 mojmir

mojmir

BB Developer

• Moderators
  • 254 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:24 PM

also i have no idea how it behaves on different computer than mine.. i wonder how it will behave on xp

#6 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:27 PM

I see it's already integrated in a 1.18 build - thought it was a stand-alone till I noticed the size and the title. Will test it both on XP and 7 and let you know :)

#7 mojmir

mojmir

BB Developer

• Moderators
  • 254 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:42 PM

ee it's not, i am just misusing the build system :) it's on a different branch in the code

but the branch is derived from 1.18 so it's more like built on top of 1.18 (and therefore inherits the build properties)

#8 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:54 PM

Ah, I see...

#9 N3Cr0

N3Cr0

Prosumer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:59 PM

Just installed this version and it's broken.

All .rc files, most plugins and all styles are missing.

What I did:

1. I installed this version in a new directory.

2. I killed my old bbZero 1.18 release.

3. I started this realease.

Spoiler

EDIT:

Just installed it over another bbZero installation to c:bbZero and not it seems to work. :D

#10 N3Cr0

N3Cr0

Prosumer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:38 PM

2 Questions (and sorry for double post):

1. My index files are created and working, but there is no search.rc . How can I recover it?

2. Which files have being changed in this release? I want to keep my old installation and just copy the necessary files over it.

EDIT: Just copy over blackbox.exe and add following entry to the menu.rc:

[search] (Search) {SEARCHMENU|COMMON_SEARCHMENU}

And some feedback: 

First of all: Great work, I really appreciate it!

One thing is still missing in this basic search, but I guess you will implement it soon:

There is no naming for default system programs (like "Device Manager" and equivalent in other languages).

It's weird, I always see in my search field "powershell.exe". Maybe that could be changed into "search".

#11 mojmir

mojmir

BB Developer

• Moderators
  • 254 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:53 PM

oops, i forgot to include search.rc in the build... you can get it here until i fix it:

https://github.com/x...onfig/search.rc

ad: default programs.. yes, it would be nice to have something like this. so far i am not sure how to achieve it.

yeah, i am not sure what i want as default text. if it was linux, i would execute some terminal. but this is windows and cmd has two terminals: stupid cmd and lot smarter, but also lot uglier powershell :)

#12 mojmir

mojmir

BB Developer

• Moderators
  • 254 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:57 PM

also maybe the format of the search.rc is a bit clumsy.. especially when prepending some path

maybe i should drop the numeric indices and rely on the order instead

#13 N3Cr0

N3Cr0

Prosumer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:24 PM

For the default search text, I thought setting a simple string would do it. We don't need a proof of it's function there.

Btw, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG IN MY LITTLE WORLD? First, I looked inside the config directory of your git repo and missed the search.rc (you have uploaded it 5 days ago). Now I want to copy it into my bbZero folder and suddenly, the file already exists. However, it doesn't have all of those search paths.

Spoiler

Well, your format may be a little bit clumsy, but it works and it's easily to understand.

#14 N3Cr0

N3Cr0

Prosumer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:37 PM

I just experienced a bug (and maybe a missing feature): I changed my search.rc and deleted the 'programs.xxx' files. Then I have clicked on "reconfigure" in BlackBox. No change. bb -> "Restart": no change. "quit" didn't work either. Then I have killed blackbox from task manager and ran it again. Now it's indexing.   EDIT: One more. The search.rc in git seems to lack a semicolon in the end of numerations. I just wondered why it didn't find all my search paths. EDIT2: I accidently had the same indices for some search entries in that file. That caused the problem.   However, the search.rc gets rewritten. There is some weird stuff going on with the semicolons.

Spoiler

#15 mojmir

mojmir

BB Developer

• Moderators
  • 254 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:52 PM

i just fixed most of 'pin to bbiconbox' issues, added reconfigure and added search.rc to installer.

the empty semicolons could pop up in the loading / parsing / saving. have to reproduce it.

btw: there is one save of search.rc when quitting bb i think.

#16 N3Cr0

N3Cr0

Prosumer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:58 PM

Yes, it saves the file on quit. IMHO that's not a good idea, specially if you're running from SSD.

I've set the write protection flag on the search.rc for now.

#17 xDemonessx

xDemonessx

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:45 AM

Thanks for letting me know this is out! I will have to spend some time on it this weekend.

#18 mojmir

mojmir

BB Developer

• Moderators
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:28 AM

okay, removed the write on quit + all yesterdays fixes (pin to iconbox (create dir, create iconbox, rename if shortcut already exists), reconfigure, search.rc added to build)

Attached File  bbSearch_install_1.18.0-38-g6e4d_mojmir.rar   19.09MB   18 downloads

#19 N3Cr0

N3Cr0

Prosumer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:00 AM

Great! I will test it later.

Uhm,... one more thing: Could you upload a package without installer? That would make it easier for testing.

EDIT:

Confirmed. The issues are fixed. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users