Best Answer crowmag , 01 February 2015 - 06:27 PM

Well, at least you found a solution...

According to grischka's bbSlit 1.161 readme.txt:

Mouse Clicks:
 -------------
 Ctrl-Right-Click: Configuration Menu
 Left-Double-Click:   Toggle AutoHide

Ctrl-Left-Drag: Drag Slit elsewhere
This ability seems to either be broken or purposely removed in the latest version.

I'm now on 64-bit, so I can no longer check to see what bbSlit version might be compatable that still has that functionality (I could in XP Mode but sorry - I'm too lazy for that).

If you would still like to group those plugins (or other plugins), there are a couple of workarounds I can suggest.

Try the slit again:

Through the bbSlit  Ctrl-Right-Click menu, set the slit to:

Order -> "As Fit"
Alignment -> "Left" (or Right depending in which side you want it)
Base Width  -> a size wide enough for 2 plugins to load side by side.

This will lessen the overall hieght of the slit and keep the slit from running into other desktop objects. Remember that the order you load plugins into the slit is the order in which they will appear in the slit.

Use bbInterface:

If that won't work for you, then Pete's suggestion to load the plugins your putting in the slit into a bbInterface frame and placing that frame where you want it isn't really that hard to do:

From the bbInterface menu (CTRL+Right-Click)...

Interface Operations ->Create New Control -> Frame

CTRL+Right-Click on the new frame...

Control Options -> Plugins -> Load Plugin...

Press and hold the ALT key while the mouse pointer is over the bbI control - this will allow you to resize the contol (the frame in this case). Left-Click and drag the control where you want it.

Then, CTRL+Right-Click on the bbI control...

Configuration -> Save Configuration

There is more to it than that - naming the control, choosing a style for it, blah, blah, blah... but nothing really mind numming if you just explore the configuration menu. The whole point of bbInterface is that it is incredably easy to create controls using it - experiment. If it's not working, just CTRL+Right-Click on the bbI control...

Interface Operations ->Delete This Control

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 jschall

jschall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:02 PM

I am running mojmir's latest bbZero, with the default nightBlue style.

The slit is on the right, oriented vertically, and contains QuickLaunch, Task1, Task2, Task3, and Desktop.

The top label of the QuickLaunch is about 200 pixels from the top of the screen. I would like to move it down a bit to make room for the clock and calendar above it.

But I can't find how to reconfigure the slit to change its vertical placement. CTRL-Drag does not work.

Is the y position controlled by an .rc file? If so, which one?

#2 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationAthens & Nafplio, Greece

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:02 AM

bbslit position can be determined by editing bbslit.rc. The default values are

# slit window properties
bbSlit.placement: CenterRight
bbSlit.position.x: 1225
bbSlit.position.y: 193
bbSlit.direction: vertical

Change position.y to whatever. Remember to unload the slit before editing. Save and reload the slit.
If you want to drag a slit-like frame anywhere and manually change it, then you need bbinterface.

• diabol likes this

#3 jschall

jschall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:07 AM

Thank you for the reply, Pete. I did what you suggested, including unloading bbslit, but editing the y position in bbslit.rc does nothing. The slit remains stuck at 200 pixels from the top.

#4 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:10 AM

Thank you for the reply, Pete. I did what you suggested, including unloading bbslit, but editing the y position in bbslit.rc does nothing. The slit remains stuck at 200 pixels from the top.

What was the value you used? Do you see that value in the y position line when you open bbslit.rc?

#5 jschall

jschall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:57 AM

Pete, I set the y value to 400 in C:bbZeropluginsbbSlitbbSlit.rc. The edit is saved. I then clicked on "Reconfigure" and "Restart" to no avail.

#6 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:01 PM

OK, let's try this first. Look for the line

bbSlit.setMargin: false

Change false to true. Reload and let me know if it worked.

#7 jschall

jschall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:07 PM

Pete,  I set bbSlit.setMargin to true, saved, clicked "Reconfigure" and "Restart". No change in the slit vertical position.

What about this:

"bbSlit.alignment: 2"?

#8 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:17 PM

Change the value and see how it goes. However, it should work when you changed the y position. Maybe you found a glitch Mojmir should know about.

#9 crowmag

crowmag

bbDinosaur

• VIP Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:12 PM

There are settings for the slit in blackbox.rc as well. Have you checked those?

# - the slit - session.screen0.slit.placement: CenterLeft session.screen0.slit.direction: vertical session.screen0.slit.autoHide: false session.screen0.slit.ontop: true session.screen0.slit.toggle: true

#10 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:55 PM

There are settings for the slit in blackbox.rc as well. Have you checked those?

Those commands have nothing to do with y and x positions, though.

Try to use bbinterface instead of the slit. You can move it anywhere and add more goodies :)

#11 jschall

jschall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:51 PM

To check if it was something mojmir overlooked, I installed bbLean 1.17. I see the same behaviour - bbSlit will not move when the y position value is changed.

HOWEVER - in both bbZero and bbLean, changing (in bbSlit.rc) "[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);]session.screen0.slit.placement: CenterRight" to "[/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);]session.screen0.slit.placement: CenterLeft" duly moves the slit to the left side, at the same y position - about 200 pixels. I suppose there is something in bbSlit.dll that is not reading that parameter?[/color]

#12 jschall

jschall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:54 PM

As for bbInterface, if anybody knows a script that would provide the equivalent of the slit, I'd love to try it. The scripts I've tried so far either don't include a wharf, or contain a lot of stuff that I don't need or that require other .dlls and just crash.

#13 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:56 PM

To check if it was something mojmir overlooked, I installed bbLean 1.17. I see the same behaviour - bbSlit will npt move when the y position value is changed.

HOWEVER - in both bbZero and bbLean, changing (in bbSlit.rc) "[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);]session.screen0.slit.placement: CenterRight" to "[/color][color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(247,247,247);]session.screen0.slit.placement: CenterLeft" duly moves the slit to the left side, at the same y position - about 200 pixels. I suppose there is something in bbSlit.dll that is not reading that parameter?[/color]

Placement works anyway, it's x and y positions you seemingly can't change. And old bbslit.dlls DID work.

What plugin did you use when testing with bblean? The same bbslit.dll you used under bbzero?

#14 jschall

jschall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:24 PM

Placement works anyway, it's x and y positions you seemingly can't change. And old bbslit.dlls DID work.

What plugin did you use when testing with bblean? The same bbslit.dll you used under bbzero?

Yes, Pete, I had to copy the .dll from bbZero to bbLean. It wasn't included in bbLean. Is there another bbSlit.dll around?

#15 jschall

jschall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:54 PM

Attached File  bbLeanNoSlit.png   1.17MB   0 downloadsI tried the bbSlit from the addons.zip, but it crashes.

So, now I have the quicklaunch plugin and 3 task (virtual desktop) windows running independently. I can place them wherever I want :-)

#16 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:02 PM

There are many bbslits, not all of them compatible with every build. Have you tried the one uploaded in our plugins section?

#17 crowmag

crowmag

bbDinosaur

• VIP Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:27 PM   Best Answer

Well, at least you found a solution...

According to grischka's bbSlit 1.161 readme.txt:

Mouse Clicks:
 -------------
 Ctrl-Right-Click: Configuration Menu
 Left-Double-Click:   Toggle AutoHide

Ctrl-Left-Drag: Drag Slit elsewhere
This ability seems to either be broken or purposely removed in the latest version.

I'm now on 64-bit, so I can no longer check to see what bbSlit version might be compatable that still has that functionality (I could in XP Mode but sorry - I'm too lazy for that).

If you would still like to group those plugins (or other plugins), there are a couple of workarounds I can suggest.

Try the slit again:

Through the bbSlit  Ctrl-Right-Click menu, set the slit to:

Order -> "As Fit"
Alignment -> "Left" (or Right depending in which side you want it)
Base Width  -> a size wide enough for 2 plugins to load side by side.

This will lessen the overall hieght of the slit and keep the slit from running into other desktop objects. Remember that the order you load plugins into the slit is the order in which they will appear in the slit.

Use bbInterface:

If that won't work for you, then Pete's suggestion to load the plugins your putting in the slit into a bbInterface frame and placing that frame where you want it isn't really that hard to do:

From the bbInterface menu (CTRL+Right-Click)...

Interface Operations ->Create New Control -> Frame

CTRL+Right-Click on the new frame...

Control Options -> Plugins -> Load Plugin...

Press and hold the ALT key while the mouse pointer is over the bbI control - this will allow you to resize the contol (the frame in this case). Left-Click and drag the control where you want it.

Then, CTRL+Right-Click on the bbI control...

There is more to it than that - naming the control, choosing a style for it, blah, blah, blah... but nothing really mind numming if you just explore the configuration menu. The whole point of bbInterface is that it is incredably easy to create controls using it - experiment. If it's not working, just CTRL+Right-Click on the bbI control...

Interface Operations ->Delete This Control

• pitkon likes this

#18 jschall

jschall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:13 PM

@crowmag: Thank you for those instructions, I now have a sort of slit with bbInterface.

Attached Files

• pitkon likes this

#19 crowmag

crowmag

bbDinosaur

• VIP Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:01 PM

Glad I could help ya :smile:

#20 diabol

diabol

Lazyass

• Validating
  • 236 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:00 PM

@jschall

Can you post a link to the build you are using? I would like to download it, so I can reproduce the problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users