7 replies to this topic

#1 lean

lean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:50 PM

I'm going to cut straight to it;

I just discovered BB a couple days ago and am amazed and grateful for being able to use it. I went through the installer and said no to using it as a default shell, I was going to use ShellOn v2 to load it.

So after installing I went to ShellOn v2, added BB to it, then logged off and back on, it didn't load from what I could see, the normal explorer was going though. I then tried the rebooting option, nothing happened when I selected it, so I decided to manually reboot.

After the login screen the screen was black with only the ShellOn window trying to load the shell I presume. It gave me an error that it couldn't load it, I then pressed CTRL+ALT+DEL to get to Task Manager, opened a location of some random task to get explorer back (not sure if that should have even worked) and then went to ShellOn and selected explorer to load and used the logoff option.

That got me the normal explorer desktop back.

Now i'm not sure If I did anything wrong, or if ShellOn v2 doesn't work with W8.1 or whatnot but I just want to use BB stably and have the option to load back into explorer if it ever becomes too much for me.

I have had practice using Rainmeter and editing ini/cfg files for programs so if you need me to do such things then I should be ok.

Keep in mind I'm a noob, having heard of switching shells only a few days ago.

Thank you so much to anyone who can help me, and thanks again to Pitkon for letting me join the forum and use BB!

#2 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationAthens & Nafplio, Greece

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:36 AM

ShellOn is an old and trusted shell switcher, but there are OSes that may not look kindly on it. In some cases you have to edit the registry yourself, but there's an easier option.

Remove ShellOn and re-install Blackbox as shell. This should work, although you may be left without a shell switcher/manager. After you make sure BB works, you can follow some (relatively) simple steps to install ShellOn as shell. But then, you may not want to :)

#3 lean

lean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:51 AM

Yeah I got it working by doing some manual work. Loads in great, just had a few other questions, sorry to bug ya but I couldn't find these questions answered anywhere.

First off, how do I remove the clock/desktop selections/desktop icons and apps section to the left?

Also had a big problem with Chrome, it would keep flickering between Chrome's tabs and the BB UI.

Lastly how would I set two different wallpapers? For separate monitors.

Can't thank you enough Pitkon!

#4 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:02 AM

What do you mean by clock/desktop selections? On the toolbar? You can open bbleanbar/blackboxbar.rc with a text editor and use an exclamation mark ! on the left of each line to remove items you don't need.

Disable Aero/Metro to stop Chrome from flickering.

Different wallpapers for separate monitors? I am afraid you can't do that, although you can try putting two walls together and using the -vdesk option in the bsetroot line in each style file. You have to experiment a lot, I'm afraid.

And you are very welcome :)

#5 lean

lean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:08 AM

First question has been solved!

I've seen many people saying to disable Aero/Metro on W8, not sure what that means. W8 to my knowledge doesn't have Aero anymore, it only has Metro. Though I'm not sure how to "disable" metro, searched everywhere and have found nothing.

And the last part sucks but I can just edit two wallpapers together side by side.

#6 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:15 AM

Not using 8.1 myself (can't stand it... lol) I don't have a first-hand experience, but here's a PC Magazine link that may prove helpful http://www.pcworld.c...ows-8-1-pc.html

Yes, putting two walls side by side is what I meant. Don't forget the -vdesk command :)

#7 spoonm

spoonm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:36 PM

I'm probably reviving a dead topic. Sorry if I am.

I believe by clock, icons, and apps, he meant the bbSlit, where bbIconBox and other plugins, like bbAnalog, are loaded by default. To unload these, go through your bbLean menu to Blackbox > Configuration > Load/Unload Plugins and play with unloading bbSlit, bbAnalog, bbIconBox, among other plugins. You should get the hang of it on your own.

Disabling Aero on Windows 7 is switching to classic colorscheme or to classic themes like the 9x look. I believe in 8 all you have are contrast themes? I'm not sure, sorry. When I used 8, instead of doing that, I opted for disabling bbLeanSkin on my browser(Firefox). You can check the bbLeanSkin log for window processes and classes that you need to add to the exclusions.rc file, under bbLeanSkin/. I suggest disabling it for Chrome and tweaking with your Windows visual style instead. Visual style editing is not a blackbox topic, so I don't think it's documented in these forums. There are guides out there for visual style editing with Vista Style Builder(despite the name, it works for Windows 7 and the latest versions work for Windows 8). Check http://nanami-tan.info for a quick guide. The page is geared towards Windows 7, but VS editing is pretty similar for Windows 8.

• pitkon likes this

#8 ph34rb0t

ph34rb0t

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:58 AM

Yup, high contrast themes are all there is on Win 8/10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users