Photo

Need help uninstalling

Best Answer Paz , 10 June 2015 - 01:43 AM

Just an experiment if you are ready to try... ctrl+Alt+del will let you start task manager from there try to run the explorer.exe, again! not sure if it'll work 

but worth trying..  

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 lawyernobaka

lawyernobaka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:55 PM

Hello all, I installed Blackbox on a whim with the intent that I would fiddle with it later. I didn't install it as shell thinking that I'd be able to come back to it later. Unfortunately, I restarted my computer, and now I can't boot into the Windows shell at all. Hopefully I can uninstall blackboard for now without totally reinstalling Windows. I'd appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you! I'm on Windows 8.1 and I also installed ShellOn v3 the same day I installed Blackbox without actually setting the shell directories. Again, because I didn't think anything would happen until I changed the shell with ShellOn.

Edit: The Windows shell doesn't load in safe mode. I tried a System Restore (probably a bad idea--oh well) earlier and received error message 0x80070005, which appears to be a file permissions error. I haven't tried Startup Repair yet.

• Paz likes this

#2 Paz

Paz

Staff Member

• Moderators
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:30 AM

Sorry I can't help you but if I can suggest one thing it will be wait few hours for the experts here. there are time zones differences so it might take few hours ... My advice - don't mess with it and make it worse for yourself...

Edit: one question, do you get the shell on when booting?

• lawyernobaka likes this

#3 lawyernobaka

lawyernobaka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:41 AM

No problem, Paz. Thanks for the quick reply! I can wait, definitely. I wrote my initial post in desperation, but reaching out to family has gotten me another machine to work on for the moment. Thankfully I have everything necessary for my work saved on flash drives and in the cloud. So, I think I'll actually remove that bit about urgency from my initial post.

Yeah, I've shut the machine down for now. Well, I log in and get the dialog from ShellOn asking me to pick a shell, but I never actually configured the program, so what I assume is happening is neither shell is bring prompted to load. Does that make sense?

Thanks again!

• Paz likes this

#4 Paz

Paz

Staff Member

• Moderators
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:49 AM

Good to know you have alternative computer to do your work, that's quite a relief...

Now about the shell-on : when getting it you should look for "browse" on the right in the options..then go to "windows" and there you should pick explorer.exe...That should load your windows again...

#5 lawyernobaka

lawyernobaka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:13 AM

Ah, the only options I have are "Launch" and "Cancel." I don't see a button for an options or browsing menu.

• Paz likes this

#6 Paz

Paz

Staff Member

• Moderators
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:28 AM

That's strange...I'm not on windows now so I can't tell what version of shell-on I have installed, when you choose 'launch" where does it take you?

#7 lawyernobaka

lawyernobaka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:34 AM

To an error message. I don't remember how it's worded exactly, but it appears to be telling me there is no value present in the config file corresponding to the location of any shell. The launch function is returning a value of -1.

• Paz likes this

#8 Paz

Paz

Staff Member

• Moderators
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:43 AM   Best Answer

Just an experiment if you are ready to try... ctrl+Alt+del will let you start task manager from there try to run the explorer.exe, again! not sure if it'll work 

but worth trying..  

#9 lawyernobaka

lawyernobaka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:14 AM

There we go! How did I make it this far in life and computers while not knowing that task manager runs without the Windows shell? Hahaha.

Well, thanks so much, Paz. Your help is much appreciated!

• Paz likes this

#10 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationAthens & Nafplio, Greece

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:48 AM

There we go! How did I make it this far in life and computers while not knowing that task manager runs without the Windows shell? Hahaha.

Does this mean you are back to the explorer shell now?

#11 lawyernobaka

lawyernobaka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:56 AM

Yes, it does. Thank you. You can close the topic.
  • Paz likes this

#12 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationAthens & Nafplio, Greece

Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:10 AM

I will leave the topic, since this may help others who are having the same issue. And you are very welcome :)

Installing ShellOn according to instructions (adding shells, like explorer, Blackbox etc.) would have presented no problems. You can do it now or later and enjoy the best of both worlds :)

• Paz and lawyernobaka like this

#13 Paz

Paz

Staff Member

• Moderators
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:07 AM

I'm so glad it worked! :D    

• pitkon likes this

#14 lawyernobaka

lawyernobaka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:59 PM

I will leave the topic, since this may help others who are having the same issue. And you are very welcome :) Installing ShellOn according to instructions (adding shells, like explorer, Blackbox etc.) would have presented no problems. You can do it now or later and enjoy the best of both worlds :)

Good idea. And yeah, I figured as much re: installing and configuring ShellOn correctly. I'm looking forward to experimenting! Paz: :D
  • pitkon and Paz like this

#15 cthu1hu

cthu1hu

Styler

• VIP Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:47 PM

My Windows 7 partition has flipped out. I'm trying to uninstall bbZero to troubleshoot, but using -uninstall / bbsetshell gives me the explorer file manager in the center of the screen, instead of the Explorer shell. It's been so long I don't remember why this occurs. But I can't uninstall bbZero. Any help?

Edit: Never mind. bsetshell needs to be run as administrator.

• pitkon and Paz like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users