• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 diabol

diabol

Lazyass

• Validating
  • 236 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:43 AM

You see, I have turned the moon into what I would like to call.. a death star :D

Hi guys, I am diabol and I've been working on revitalizing bb's code.

I am slow, like veeeeeery slow, but at the very least I would like to present today bbMean. It is a "branch" of bbLean 1.17 and born out of my desire to correctly run bbLean on windows 7 in 64bits with menu icons, so yeah, I found the flags and switched them.

Features:

- everything bbLean has to offer

- no support for 32bit plugins (yay!)

- also I have fixed a bug in bblib for autohiding windows with transparency disabled which has gone unnoticed for basically forever

- folders in bbIconBox open as menu when clicked (as opposed to opening explorer)

- source code is a huge mess o/

- build process is a mix of msys' make (should be in your path) and msbuild, using msvc

TODO:

- changing the build process from makefiles to msbuild and creating VS solutions/projects (or cmake if anybody cares about being able to compile bb with mingw)

- compiling all sorts of plugins for 64bit

- fix up and sync the git repository

Cheers, diabol

EDIT: I've seen what xzero and mjolnir are up to and i am impressed. will merge my puny changes on github or something :D

Attached Files

• pitkon, innn, cthu1hu and 4 others like this

#2 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationAthens & Nafplio, Greece

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:48 AM

This is great news, diabol! Wish you would be the first to add some modern touches to 64-bit builds, like split graphics... Kudos!

#3 XZero450

XZero450

VIP

• VIP Member
  • 28 posts
  • LocationCentral Wisconsin

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:06 AM

It is primarily Mojmir right now. :) [By that I mean, I'm mostly setup to assist Mojmir, but I haven't yet - so it is 100% Mojmir doing all the improvements.] If you do wish to merge yours with ours, let us know! I would much rather have all of our enhancements in a single build rather than have a large number of builds with different enhancements. :) Blackbox is supposed to be versatile and simple.

@pitkon, I was working on them but I was having issues with StyleMaker(?) - which Mojmir corrected - but this was likely because I was trying to do a 5 minutes hack on a more complex application. :)

• pitkon likes this

#4 diabol

diabol

Lazyass

• Validating
  • 236 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:51 PM

I totally agree with you, XZero. The least we need right now is more fragmentation of the source code :)

#5 innn

innn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:39 AM

Thank you Diabol for this build.

I use the 32 bit from your original post and it solved for now the problems I had with running bblean in a windows 8.1 system. It works smoothly.

I take this opportunity to refer to them in case will interest others in this post here http://blackbox4wind...h-bblean/?p=254

I understand you programmers that prolongue life of this wonderful shell will take your time to improve it by spending as much time as possible on a Windows 7 system which is supported until 2020 and is rock solid for power users. But for someone like me that upgraded already I am glad I found the solution that prevented me from downgrading.

Keep up the good work and I hope to contribute myself in whatever way fit in the nearest future.

#6 diabol

diabol

Lazyass

• Validating
  • 236 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:29 AM

Thank you Diabol for this build.

I use the 32 bit from your original post and it solved for now the problems I had with running bblean in a windows 8.1 system. It works smoothly.

I take this opportunity to refer to them in case will interest others in this post here http://blackbox4wind...h-bblean/?p=254

I understand you programmers that prolongue life of this wonderful shell will take your time to improve it by spending as much time as possible on a Windows 7 system which is supported until 2020 and is rock solid for power users. But for someone like me that upgraded already I am glad I found the solution that prevented me from downgrading.

Keep up the good work and I hope to contribute myself in whatever way fit in the nearest future.

I'm glad you like it and it's good to see that bb runs on win8.

As far as I know mojmir is also coding for/testing on Windows 8, so you might want to experiment with his build as well :3

• lamurian likes this

#7 bluebomber

bluebomber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:11 PM

It works better than I was waiting. Only a message of error appears when I initiate the system related to bbleanskinrun32.exe

• pitkon likes this

#8 lamurian

lamurian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:37 PM

hey, thanks for your built :D i was comparing some bblean version, looking for something stable enough for my win 8.1. i'm impressed by how well your build work within my machine! but then, i get some problems with bbkeys : i can't use hotkey to change desktop (default setting is Win+Num). i've tried to change Modifier button (win) to another ones (combination of alt and/or shift), but still i can't change desktop with keyboard shortcut.

i got this issue as well when using bb4win official build (1.17.1) 32 bit. do you have any idea what's going on here?

• lamurian likes this

#9 knowom

knowom

bbMechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:32 PM

The BBLeanBar RC file for bbLean(boxCore 0.2.1) had the following two settings in it that I'm not seeing in this version. Is it a case that those settings no longer work with bbMean's version of BBLeanBar or just that I need to copy and paste them into it's RC? bbLeanBar.tray.saturation: 255 bbLeanBar.tray.hue: 0 It's not a big deal to me and the older plugin version might even work haven't tried, but was just curious because it did had have these, but lacked the former two settings in the RC. bbLeanBar.icon.saturation: 255 bbLeanBar.icon.hue: 0 Was just trying to update my RC files for bbMean 1.17.1 along with it's plugin RC files to match as closely as possible to my bbLean(boxCore 0.2.1) and it's plugins.

#10 knowom

knowom

bbMechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:52 PM

boxBar found here works with bbMean1.17.1 x64 interestingly I don't see this plugin mentioned at all on these forums yet it's good alternative to bbLeanBar. http://developer.ber...?group_id=10386

#11 knowom

knowom

bbMechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:45 AM

Here's my bbMean 1.17.1 x64 version it's got a few backrounds in that folder included variety of style themes my RC file tweaks to bbMean 1.17.1 x64 and various plugins with my modified RC files for those as well. You can see in the screenshot how it looks. By default bbLeanBar and bbIconBox are disabled the later of which was a plugin I added and included. I didn't get around to tweaking or customizing bbIconBox however in the past though I had it setup as a rather nice looking quick task bar displayed on the desktop similar to OSX or various game UI's it's pretty versatile and awesome I even had it at the time setup with key hooks to show/hide the plugin itself with alt + ` (tilde) key combination which was cool it's got great potential.

Attached Files

• pitkon likes this

#12 Mountainking

Mountainking

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:43 AM

Thanks OP. Dling and will test it out.

#13 diabol

diabol

Lazyass

• Validating
  • 236 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:54 PM

Here's my bbMean 1.17.1 x64 version it's got a few backrounds in that folder included variety of style themes my RC file tweaks to bbMean 1.17.1 x64 and various plugins with my modified RC files for those as well. You can see in the screenshot how it looks. By default bbLeanBar and bbIconBox are disabled the later of which was a plugin I added and included. I didn't get around to tweaking or customizing bbIconBox however in the past though I had it setup as a rather nice looking quick task bar displayed on the desktop similar to OSX or various game UI's it's pretty versatile and awesome I even had it at the time setup with key hooks to show/hide the plugin itself with alt + ` (tilde) key combination which was cool it's got great potential.

Nice.

When you do get around to bbIconBox, notice how clicking a folder opens a menu with it's contents. That's one of the small things I fixed and haven't patched into moj's build yet :P

• pitkon likes this

#14 knowom

knowom

bbMechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:41 AM

Not sure what you mean, but it's a nice plugin. It could benifit from a few improvements though namely a toggle option to show file names under each icon to better mimic windows desktop icons. I think that would greatly enhance it for the better for a lot of users that don't want to have to hover over each and use tooltips. I have to customize my configuration a bit too at some point add recycling bin folder (top left) as a task. Currently I have desktop (left center) and quick task (top middle)that fit nicely in slit(left middle)just hadn't thought to add recycle bin yet til now, but would be good addition.

#15 knowom

knowom

bbMechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:52 PM

Nice.

When you do get around to bbIconBox, notice how clicking a folder opens a menu with it's contents. That's one of the small things I fixed and haven't patched into moj's build yet :P

Did this ever get patched in btw? When I try click on folder it either brings up a context menu with options or it opens a explorer window folder like normal not that it matters just curious.

#16 ojred

ojred

Sourceforger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:42 AM

The topic title says (inactive) so I guess we're reviving this topic for [nop], bbMechanic.

Sometimes it's difficult to see if stuff is still usable, so if I may suggest to Pitkon to maybe mod these kind of topics?

E.g. modding the first post to indicate it's old and actually closing the topic so it won't get revived?

Or maybe archive/truncate the entire topic? :whistling:

• pitkon likes this

Sourceforger is back!

#17 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationAthens & Nafplio, Greece

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:03 AM

The topic title says (inactive) so I guess we're reviving this topic for [nop], bbMechanic.

Sometimes it's difficult to see if stuff is still usable, so if I may suggest to Pitkon to maybe mod these kind of topics?

E.g. modding the first post to indicate it's old and actually closing the topic so it won't get revived?

Or maybe archive/truncate the entire topic? :whistling:

It's a good idea, thanks :)

• ojred likes this

#18 crowmag

crowmag

bbDinosaur

• VIP Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:16 PM

Did this ever get patched in btw? When I try click on folder it either brings up a context menu with options or it opens a explorer window folder like normal not that it matters just curious.

A workaround solution for this is to just have Blackbox open a menu of the folder by giving it a direct command.

To do this, first make a shortcut to blacbox.exe and give it a suitable name. Then, right-click on the shortcut and choose 'Properties'.

Now edit the 'Target' text box and add the following after blackbox.exe:

-exec @BBCore.ShowMenu "X:\PATH TO FOLDER"

So, a generic target would read:

C:\%BB FOLDER%\blackbox.exe -exec @BBCore.ShowMenu "C:\PATH TO FOLDER"

You can change the icon if you like.

Next, move that shortcut to the folder bbIconBox is reading - done.

Thanks grischka.

• pitkon and knowom like this

#19 knowom

knowom

bbMechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:57 AM

Nice thx crowmag got it working, but w/o the need for shortcuts by modifying the extensions.rc more or less how you described here's a example of what I did just adjust the users name accordingly and works like a charm. Well actually works a bit differently than the initial topic subject, but works well regardless at least so I'll take it since it's something I wanted done anyway.

# This PC menu
blackbox.desktop.MidClick: @BBCore.ShowMenu DRIVES

# Taskbar menu
blackbox.desktop.X1Click: @BBCore.ShowMenu C:\Users\bbCinematics\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

# Desktop menu
blackbox.desktop.X2Click: @BBCore.ShowMenu C:\Users\bbCinematics\Desktop

• pitkon likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users