Photo

Increase height and icon size bbleanbar?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bbryder

bbryder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

Greetings and congrats on the new site! I used bblean for under XP and loved it. Pitkon was incredibly generious w/ answering my newbie questions--by email, no less. Thanks again! But what w/ Windows 7 I did abandon bblean for years--as many did, I gather. Yet I've come to detest the Win 7 taskbar. Anything else I can work around.

Which brought me back to bblean (after I found a newer build that seems to work OK under Win 7 x64) and a basic question about bbleanbar. I used to like the narrow height of it but now it's just too slim for my eyes. W/ systembarex, one can increase the height--but can't, it seems, remove elements like the clock or tray or tasks, or autohide it. (I'll explain the plan.)

My question: Is there a way to increase the height of bbleanbar and increase the size of the icons to around 22? I could see that pretty clearly. ;)

The plan is to have one bbleanbar autohidden at the bottom showing only a tray. (The plugin "Tray" seems not to autohide). And then another bbleanbar at the top with no tray, for more space for the tasks. I had something like this before when I could see better.

Thanks!

• pitkon likes this

#2 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationAthens & Nafplio, Greece

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:41 AM

Greetings and congrats on the new site! I used bblean for under XP and loved it. Pitkon was incredibly generious w/ answering my newbie questions--by email, no less. Thanks again! But what w/ Windows 7 I did abandon bblean for years--as many did, I gather. Yet I've come to detest the Win 7 taskbar. Anything else I can work around.

Which brought me back to bblean (after I found a newer build that seems to work OK under Win 7 x64) and a basic question about bbleanbar. I used to like the narrow height of it but now it's just too slim for my eyes. W/ systembarex, one can increase the height--but can't, it seems, remove elements like the clock or tray or tasks, or autohide it. (I'll explain the plan.)

My question: Is there a way to increase the height of bbleanbar and increase the size of the icons to around 22? I could see that pretty clearly. ;)

The plan is to have one bbleanbar autohidden at the bottom showing only a tray. (The plugin "Tray" seems not to autohide). And then another bbleanbar at the top with no tray, for more space for the tasks. I had something like this before when I could see better.

Thanks!

Thanks for your kind words, my friend, you honor us all.

Margin is the key word. Use this

toolbar.marginWidth: 3

to increase the height. If you want some more, you can always go to 4 or 5. Easy there... lol.

• bbryder likes this

#3 diabol

diabol

Lazyass

• Validating
  • 236 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:00 AM

I just tried it out and unfortunately, the icon size does not follow suit ._.

marginWidth just adds an empty margin inside the bar on the top and bottom it seems

There is a setting in bbleanbar in Configuration -> Icons -> Small Size, but it only toggles between small and very small :)

@bbryder I'll have a look at the code :3

edit: IIRC bbleanbar does scale it's height according to the font size, but since i use the fixed height small size fonts (love em), i can't really check

• bbryder likes this

#4 diabol

diabol

Lazyass

• Validating
  • 236 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

Checked the code, for icons it just toggles between two sizes...

TASK_ICON_SIZE = imin(lbl_max, 16);
TRAY_ICON_SIZE = imin(tray_max, 16);

I'll experiment with replacing "small icons" with an "icon size"

Edit: Nevermind, forgot you just wanted the bar resized xD

I'll punch that in, too, I guess

• pitkon likes this

#5 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:09 AM

I just tried it out and unfortunately, the icon size does not follow suit ._.

marginWidth just adds an empty margin inside the bar on the top and bottom it seems

There is a setting in bbleanbar in Configuration -> Icons -> Small Size, but it only toggles between small and very small :)

@bbryder I'll have a look at the code :3

edit: IIRC bbleanbar does scale it's height according to the font size, but since i use the fixed height small size fonts (love em), i can't really check

Maybe I should add that margin works for all elements, toolbar label, window label, toolbar clock etc.

#6 diabol

diabol

Lazyass

• Validating
  • 236 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:22 AM

Added two options:

1.) maxIconSize - replaces smallIcons (which toggled between a max. iconsize of 12 or so and 16)

2.) minHeight - sets the minimum height of the bar

the old height calculation of bbleanbar was:

fontheight + 2 * marginWidth + borderWidth

and the new one is

max(fontheight, minHeight) + 2 * marginWidth + borderWidth

Attached are a screenshot and the patched bar plugin for 32 ans 64bit with a sample config which contains the new options (they default to maxIconSize: 32/ minHeight:12 respectively)

I'll try to get the code upstream somehow :D

Attached Files

• pitkon, bbryder and E-xecutive like this

#7 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

Looks awesome - and at the speed of light, too. I hope this bblean bar can handle split graphics... Do you include more menu options, balloon tips or what?

#8 bbryder

bbryder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:39 AM

Wow! I'm astonished! Thanks a LOT!!! Just downloaded and will give a try.

• pitkon likes this

#9 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

Couldn't load it... Incompatible with XZero450's build... :(

#10 diabol

diabol

Lazyass

• Validating
  • 236 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

Yes, unfortunately it doesn't load in xzero's build, since that is based on bbClean (in which it also does not load).

The version of bbLean which is upstream relies on some features which were added in bbLean 1.17 and are not present in bbClean.

I could include the patches I made into the older bbClean-compatible version of bbLean, but instead I recommend you switch over to a "modern" "supported" build (mojmir's) :3

#11 bbryder

bbryder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:37 AM

Wow! I'm astonished! Thanks a LOT!!! Just downloaded and will give a try.

Works great w/ bbZero.vs64. Using it now! :) G'bye explorer.

#12 E-xecutive

E-xecutive

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:59 PM

Added two options:

1.) maxIconSize - replaces smallIcons (which toggled between a max. iconsize of 12 or so and 16)

2.) minHeight - sets the minimum height of the bar

the old height calculation of bbleanbar was:

fontheight + 2 * marginWidth + borderWidth

and the new one is

max(fontheight, minHeight) + 2 * marginWidth + borderWidth

Attached are a screenshot and the patched bar plugin for 32 ans 64bit with a sample config which contains the new options (they default to maxIconSize: 32/ minHeight:12 respectively)

I'll try to get the code upstream somehow :D

Ooooh! The girl from screenshot is so pretty, but the plugin updated by you is much more attractive  :thumbsup: Thank's, thank's, thank you...

• pitkon likes this

#13 E-xecutive

E-xecutive

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

After some more testing, here is a fly in the ointment  :confused:
The original bbleanbar works like a charm on minimal set of WinXP. Contrary, the updated one needs addtitional libraries. VC 2012-13 installation didn't help, so I presume diabol's compilation is dependant upon .NET Framework or other additional libraries.

Additional libraries have no sense when there is no functional need in them, but they lead to less compatibility. Moreover, it's the way to deadlock because the BlackBox is greatly portable, but it will not when dependant of uncommon libraries. This strategical mistake, IMHO, is increasing in frequency among BB-developers in general, unfortunately.

I'm not a coder, but it seems the best way to further develop BB is to compile new and updated plugins on virtual machines that are clean of unnecessary libraries. In other words, for example: if only to run a new or updated plugin I need to put the common msvcr120.dll into the BB folder -- no problem, the BB is compatible and portable as well.

Dear diabol, is it feasible to recompile your updated bbleanbar, could you, please?

• pitkon likes this

#14 diabol

diabol

Lazyass

• Validating
  • 236 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:00 PM

After some more testing, here is a fly in the ointment  :confused:
The original bbleanbar works like a charm on minimal set of WinXP. Contrary, the updated one needs addtitional libraries. VC 2012-13 installation didn't help, so I presume diabol's compilation is dependant upon .NET Framework or other additional libraries.

Additional libraries have no sense when there is no functional need in them, but they lead to less compatibility. Moreover, it's the way to deadlock because the BlackBox is greatly portable, but it will not when dependant of uncommon libraries. This strategical mistake, IMHO, is increasing in frequency among BB-developers in general, unfortunately.

I'm not a coder, but it seems the best way to further develop BB is to compile new and updated plugins on virtual machines that are clean of unnecessary libraries. In other words, for example: if only to run a new or updated plugin I need to put the common msvcr120.dll into the BB folder -- no problem, the BB is compatible and portable as well.

Dear diabol, is it feasible to recompile your updated bbleanbar, could you, please?

Sure, the code is upstream, so the bbleanbar plugin in mojmir's build has these features as well.

If you can get that to run, then the plugin will run as well (or you rip out the plugin from there).

Probably I linked the binaries uploaded in this thread to the debug libs or something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users