All these relate to https://github.com/x...bclean-xzero450 as xzero and mojmir have already moved bb a great deal into the direction where i've been meaning to take it (slooowly )
Anyways, I'm not an eye-candy person, but I do love small neat features and as a dev person this is a cross between a todo and a wishlist
0) merge bbMean changes into bbclean-xzero on github
Good thing I didn't change so much!
1) cmake: 32bit parts in 64bit bbleanskin's build (engine, wrapper process). I'll probably fix this myself soonish, but frankly this will be my first time working with cmake, soooo got some reading up to do.
mojmir is on it
2) bbleanskin: option to set transparency in right-click menu
I've been meaning to add this for ages and it wouldn't even be hard to implement.
To draw the menu, bbleanskin gets the systemmenu items and attaches them to it's own menu which shares the same code as the other menus, so attaching an up-down item for transparency of the current window (as is done in so many other places in bb's menu already) wouldn't be hard.
3) bbMeanPlug32 - 32bit plugin host and/or plugin wrapper
Wouldn't it be nice to just load some old and forgotten 32bit plugins in 64bit bb?
I'm thinking of creating a dummy blackbox32 executable which acts as a plugin host. It would communicate via a named pipe or similar with the 64bit blackbox host.
Now I am not sure how much work would need to go into synchronizing the instances and other issues like hosting a 32bit plugin window in a 64bit slit might occur.
Another possibility would be to individually wrap the plugins in a 64bit adapter which does basically the same, but still I am not sure how well that would work since in bb plugins and the main like to merrily pass around pointers to window handles and the like.
Will need to investigate this further..
4) code documentation/cleanup
If you had a look at blackbox' code and a look at litestep's code then you will get what I mean
Seriously, it's hard for new developers to get into blackbox development because the code is not extensively documented.
Also the structure of the code could need a lifting. It's awesome that the build system was brought up to date. I think the next logical step would be to clean up the code, abstract away differences of windows versions and such (the current source still supports windows 95!).
5) asynchronous icon loading I guess this is why grischka marked menu icons as experimental in the code.. To load icons for items in the menu, bb uses windows' shell api or such which has to, at least once, load the icons into it's own internal cache. Now this happens acceptably fast for individual items (~20-100ms on my machine), but when you open a folder with many items in it, bb might hang for multiple seconds. A solution to this would be to load the icons in an iconLoaderThread and show a placeholder while they are not available.
Similarly there is a bug which affects windows which hang themselves. BB blocks when it probes a window for it's icon. Now if the window it question hangs, it won't respond and bb hangs forever (or until you kill said window)
6) bells and whistles
I remember some neat features like a volume control from either bbClean or bbLeanMod in the main menu. Last time I checked it was either not present or just plain broken on 64bit ._.
EDIT: anyways, moar neat features
7) litestep plugin loader That would be totally overkill, a man can dream. (Also one of the ls devs startet work on a bbLoader for litestep some time ago, it's not really usable yet, but nice anyways)
done by Tres'ni before, should ask him for the code or sth
8) background slideshow
When you set multiple background pictures in Personalization on Windows 7+, under explorer they would neatly change with a fade out/in effect after an interval. On bb they unfortunately don't. After the time is up, the old background stays until a region of the desktop window is forced to be redrawn. Not a big bother, but would be neat if this worked correctly.
9) core menu plugin
We should totally make the core menu pluggable, as has been done with the slit and the bar.
The menu code itself is used all over blackbox and thus can't be easily ripped out, but the core menu itself could be gutted.
That would make the main codebase smaller and more maintainable (the plugin codebase is a different story )
Indefinitely postponed. Reason: it is super easy to write a bb plugin in C# with some C++ magic
11) bbIconBox' Pager in bbLeanBar
Simply a list of clickable workspaces, would complement my dwm-look
replicating dwm's dmenu capabilities:
a horizontal menu which contains a list of every executable in the PATH, upon typing it narrows down
13) window tiling
not exactly a simple feature on windows.. but windawesome does it and with a .Net plugin loader a marriage wouldn't be impossible
14) vim-like keybindings (or rather bindings for key-sequences)
I am not exactly a fan of vim, but this would be even more fun for screwing with *nix people than my arch wallpaper with bb4win
15) in the far future i would like to do some crazy wallpaper magic
i would especially like to implement some 3d recognition algorithms to recover heightmaps from background images, split fg/bg and such.
based on that i would animate the desktop background in subtle ways, maybe in response to music
Ahhh, so much to do and so little time