#1 molecube

molecube

werkkzeuger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:55 PM

Hey guys,

as the title says, MS Edge is not working anymore since I use bbZero. It just won't start. I even doubleclicked the exe and ran it with administrator privileges but it won't show up. The cursor indicates that it's trying for about half a second but that's it.

I hope you have an idea how I can make it work again because at the moment it's the only browser capable of streaming netflix in 1080p. :D It sounds a bit like a first world problem but I'd really appreciate it working again. All other browsers I have (Firefox, Chrome, Opera, IE) are only streaming in 480p (not even 720p even though they should because they did it once. My internet connection can't be the cause, by the way, it's 100down/40up. Hardware is high-end so that's not it either. Anyways, if you could help me make Edge work again I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance for any help, idea or suggestion.

Info:

- bbZero 1.18 with bbLeanSkin disabled

- Windows 10 Pro x64

- If there's any info that would help, I'd be glad to provide you with.

#2 brandoluck

brandoluck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 05:12 AM

Hey Molecube, 

Yea i get problems with the windows store apps and built in features not working while i use bbzero (same build) on windows 8.1 & 10

so i ended up purging them all from my system, keeping only the important bits lol should i just switch to linux?  :ermm: 

maybe it is also that fact that your using bbzero and not explorer... perhaps there is some connection. also there might be a file missing or something that got

accidentily deleted.

sorry i havent quite figured this one out yet either...but i feel your pain brotha

and are you sure there is no alternative fix for this issue? because i just lost my playstation 4 to due to an overheat issue...and that was my netflix go to place :(

so i am in search of something to fill the void there without turning to windows apps.

so ill keep my eye open  :wink: 

stay tuned!

Thanks Very Much,

Branden.

#3 molecube

molecube

werkkzeuger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:14 PM

Hi brandoluck,

thanks for your reply. Now that you say it I found out, other "built-in" programs that come with windows (like calc.exe) don't work anymore either. It seems that bbZero either blocks resources which are neede for those programs or it killed a process that is necessary. For me, starting explorer.exe doesn't help. Even though I then see the old Windows taskbar Edge, calculator, etc. won't work. Maybe it really has to do something with the Windows Appstore.

By "and are you sure there is no alternative fix for this issue?" you mean the possibility of streaming Netflix contents in 1080p resolution, right? In this case: No, I don't know any other solution, at least for laptop/desktop pc. Currently no browser (except for MS Edge) is capable of handling certain commands of Netflix' DRM-technology. That's why they only stream in 720p atmost.

You can see the current resolution alongside other technical information by starting a stream and pressing Ctrl+Shift+Alt+D. Ctrl+Shift+Alt+S opens another "tool" where you can choose between different quality settings but I didn't figure out what they exactly do.

I don't know if the Android-app of Netflix or any other app for mobile devices, Amazon fire stick or whatever are capable of streaming 1080p. I didn't try them out because I don't want to watch movies on my phone. But maybe you can stream the screen to your tv. If I had a TV I'd give it a try :D

Regarding your question for linux:

The decision to switch to linux depends on what programs you need, whether they are available on linux (or for Wine) and if you play games (via Steam, Origina, etc. for example). If you're a gamer, check first whether your games work on linux, too. If they aren't available stick to Windows :) Otherwise give linux a try (in a virtual machine for example) :)

And regarding the lack of the Windows "apps" (I dislike calling programs "apps" actually): Well, there are thousands of other programs that would suffice as a substitution for the missing apps, but my main concern is about Edge/Netflix. That's a combination I weren't able to replace.

So thanks again in advance for any help.

Edited by molecube, 25 February 2017 - 01:17 PM.

#4 brandoluck

brandoluck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:01 AM

yes this needs to be investigated some windows programs are essential!

okay thanks, i will test that out and see what im outputting at when i am watching netflix.

yea switching to linux scares me sometimes but linux keeps getting better and better so its definetly got my attention.

but yea alot of the programs i use are windows based so that might become an issue for sure, well except for the use of wine in linux, which is pretty cool but i hear it is not the best. yea perhaps ill play around in a virtual machine, good idea!

hey, could you not run windows software thats not compatble w black box ie: MS Edge on a windows 10 virtual box?? would that work?

yea np glad to help i can

• pitkon likes this

Thanks Very Much,

Branden.

#5 molecube

molecube

werkkzeuger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:45 PM

Hi brandoluck,

actually I could run a VM with Windows 10 and use Edge from there but the effort isn't worth it because it costs a big part of my hardware resources and my time to get it running stable and safe. Besides a VM might lack certain features of hardware acceleration. So running Edge natively would give me the best results. :)

I hope, someone has an idea why some programs just refuse to start.

• pitkon likes this

#6 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationAthens & Nafplio, Greece

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:59 AM

Hi brandoluck,

actually I could run a VM with Windows 10 and use Edge from there but the effort isn't worth it because it costs a big part of my hardware resources and my time to get it running stable and safe. Besides a VM might lack certain features of hardware acceleration. So running Edge natively would give me the best results. :)

I hope, someone has an idea why some programs just refuse to start.

Remember, Mojmir's new build is just around the corner and it will fix a lot of bugs.

• brandoluck and molecube like this

#7 meanmechanics

meanmechanics

Troll

• VIP Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:45 PM

Remember, Mojmir's new build is just around the corner and it will fix a lot of bugs.

Man, we will wait until hell freezes.

• pitkon and brandoluck like this

www.survivingmauritius.com

#8 Ritz

Ritz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 03:23 PM

Microsoft must of came in with mondo bucks to secure an exlusive deal like that.  I can see it working on Chrome with time, unless microsoft did something anti-competitive wouldn't be the first time (DirectX anyone?) and weave edge, and the DRM so tightly into their infrastructure as to not allow anyone else in.  Chrome is a very popular browser by both the average and power user.

Man, we will wait until hell freezes.

Its no shock, blackbox runs on steam time.  But since we inevitably get updates because enthusiast are the best it would dictate Half-Life 3 will eventually come as well.  Predictions could be wrong, but at least blackbox updates happen eventually.

#9 knowom

knowom

bbMechanic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:22 PM

I prefer Waterfox fork of Mozilla's Firefox myself primarily because the plugin support for Mozilla is just better from what I've seen though these days it's becoming more and more of a nuisance to visit websites w/o turning off ad blocker before they let you view which is super annoying from a user standpoint. Nothing I hate more in the internet than forced advertisements ok not entirely true, but it's one of the bigger aggravations.

#10 Ritz

Ritz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:59 PM

I prefer waterfox as well since its lighter in weight and garbage then the main. *Fox is still a bit slow at times but noscript is too good to let go.  Edge is surprisingly fluid compared to other browsers but I don't enjoy using it for a variety of reasons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users