The first post will be long and focus on a deadly since of many computers - even AV's for those of you that run them, will see a potential threat known as a "key logger", and most people are quick to delete the little tracker - or are they?
It is not well known to the general public that W10 not only has a key logging software running at all times, but if you use your voice to text - that too, is monitored and send back to microsoft! The company admitted that “we may collect voice information” and “typed characters.” In the past, people would debate wtih me, stating that it was “intended for testing, not day-to-day use,” and that Microsoft recommended against installing the Preview on a computer with sensitive files. And they further stated that “seriously doubt that the worst spyware features will remain in the finished product.” OOPS!!
Many of my friends know that I am an anti-google (duckduckgo is my search of choice, along with startpage), I am also very against W10, as it feeds on the uninformed and those that are not very tech savy. Microsoft admits their tracking of everything you do on the pc. But this is my toy, I paid for it, and do not want to keep transmitting data back and forth. You can find all of their privacy statement here. It is very very creepy - those that defend W10, I have concluded they do so, because they do not know what they let in their house!
So can you turn the thing off? Yes, but it might cost you.
- Click on Settings(Start menu’s left pane)
- You will not see it at first, the scroll bar is not very visible, so use your mouse wheel and you will see PRIVACY pop up at the bottom. Last I remember there was a "EASE OF ACCESS" on the left and "UPDATE SECURITY" on the right of the PRIVACY icon. click it
- Click GENERAL SECTION
- Turn off Send Microsoft info about how I write to help us improve typing and writing in the future.
- Take a look at the rest, you'll see that several other "monitoring" features are turned on
- Go to the "Speech, inking and typing" and click "Stop Getting to Know Me"
There are other sections you might want to take a look at that control your camera, microphone and other areas. This is just a small tip of the iceburg of M$ watching you.
Here is a great app to turn off much of these in a single click