• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 klyxmaster

klyxmaster

Advanced Member

• VIP Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:53 PM

BBlean is bumpy, and experienced too many lockups with BZ, so I revisited xoblite. To my surprise it is very solid, albeit missing a few goodies - that I like. One thing I did like, is that BBI 0.9.9 works right out of the box - where as this was not possible with the newer *box's, they instead, after hours of head scratching used the bbinterface_itunes.  However, even with that figured out, the constant "*box->restart" would always cause a lock up with BZ.

However, I digress, I actually made a "mutt" of xoblite, by taking a few things from here and a few things from there, and am now able to run xoblite very smoothly.

But not all things go smooth w/o a hitch. for instance - bbstylemaker, which makes light of an otherwise tedious job, is very finiky in finding folders, since xoblite, I THINK, is the only *box that makes use of themes (A SUB folder for your style that *rc files are controlled independently from the root xoblite.exe.

However, I do like a challenge, and the two projects I will be working on - mostly due to my lazieness( and I do this with many apps I work with) will make a stand alone editor for menu.rc and  remake a new stylemaker that works better with xoblite. (I was sure that there was a bbstylemaker that worked with xoblite)

Anyways, thought i would bring this to light, as it is, after all, a *box for windows forum. :-)

Cheers

• lautaro and molecube like this

View my old bblean themes here

#2 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationAthens & Nafplio, Greece

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:00 PM

Xoblite is really obsolete, man :)

And there are so many things missing from it, I wouldn't even dream of going there, though I love Karl, its creator.

BBInterface works like a dream under BBZero. And bbstylemaker wouldn't work on Xob anyway, since Grichka created it specifically for BBLean and XZero450 (and later Mojmir) managed to port it to BBZero.

You are missing on a lot of stuff... Come back before Xob swallows you alive :)

#3 klyxmaster

klyxmaster

Advanced Member

• VIP Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:31 PM

Ok ok, I came back to BBL, Cant do BBZ, it locks up on me. And bbstylemaker works in xob, you just have to put it in the theme folder you want to work on, so its a little extra work.

I have A.D.D. what can i say.

but in my defense, XP 64 is obsolete, and I love it :-) (7 is good too for my gaming rig)

• pitkon likes this

View my old bblean themes here

#4 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationAthens & Nafplio, Greece

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:41 AM

Ok ok, I came back to BBL, Cant do BBZ, it locks up on me. And bbstylemaker works in xob, you just have to put it in the theme folder you want to work on, so its a little extra work.

I have A.D.D. what can i say.

but in my defense, XP 64 is obsolete, and I love it :-) (7 is good too for my gaming rig)

No argues about XP, I used it till recently. But by obsolete I meant BBZero can do things, at least stylewise, that Xob can't. And bbstylemaker - the one used under Xob - is obsolete two, since it was created in the days when there were no split gradients and stuff. BBStyleMaker created by XZero450 takes under consideration modern style commands. And you should really start a thread about BBZ freezing on you.

#5 meanmechanics

meanmechanics

Troll

• VIP Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:43 PM

No argues about XP, I used it till recently. But by obsolete I meant BBZero can do things, at least stylewise, that Xob can't. And bbstylemaker - the one used under Xob - is obsolete two, since it was created in the days when there were no split gradients and stuff. BBStyleMaker created by XZero450 takes under consideration modern style commands. And you should really start a thread about BBZ freezing on you.

Though I agree with Pete on BBZ being the less "obsolete" and the best working blackbox for windows... I can't totally agree. Karl released a beta xoblite bb4 rc3 that has split gradient...besides grichka's bblean still works like a charm less the split gradient.

I'm fully supportive of BBZ but some of the old forks still live.

P.S. and can't wait to see the new bbz and if it is going to implement windows 10 apps like settings and cortana 

www.survivingmauritius.com

#6 Ritz

Ritz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:14 AM

Goes by my theory of 'whatever works'.  Especially for XP64, all of the old forks work well on the early NT based systems as well as Win9x.  From which they were originally designed for!  I'de even beg to say they should function ok with windows Vista/7 although that is where some functions start to break.  WIndows 8/10, BBzero works better despite some caveats related to the OS more then BBZero.  Windows 8+ is a fairly stark departure from all other versions of windows under the hood even before you look at Metro/UWP.  I mean VIsta changed many things(and 7 just made it all better), but it still mostly behaved like other versions of windows prior.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users