#21 molecube

molecube

werkkzeuger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:09 AM

[...]

- My hack: I simply replace explorer.exe with blackbox.exe here: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\C:\Blackbox\Blackbox.exe (or wherever your Blackbox.exe lies). Been doing that for the last 20 years. Of course, back then I relied on ShellOn to do that, but alas ShellOn doesn't work on Windows 10.

- I understand using simple apps. As for the perfect file explorer, I use Free Commander XE, best one ever imho. Keeps updating almost weekly.

As for Karl, we all owe him.

Isn't the hack the same as using bbsetshell.exe? If not, what's the difference?

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll check out Free Commander XE this weekend.

• pitkon likes this

#22 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationAthens & Nafplio, Greece

Posted 19 September 2020 - 10:54 AM

bsetshell doesn't change the Winlogon entry, just points the OS to Blackbox.

The registry hack is an extra guarantee. You can always change it back to Explorer, of course. Like never :)

You are very welcome. I am a Free Commander XE donor, I suggest you do the same to get more stuff.

• molecube likes this

#23 SoftLight

SoftLight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 01:46 PM

Bonjour et merci pour ce travail.
Je découvre Xoblite BB5, et commence juste à l'adapter à mes besoins.

J'utilise également Rainmeter, et,
il arrive régulièrement que les placements de mes skins se trouvent modifiés :sad:
une solution ?
- y a t'il un outil servant à exporter un Thème et un Style ?
Pascal.

----

Hello and thank you for this work.
I discovered Xoblite BB5, and just started to adapt it to my needs.

I also use Rainmeter, and,
It happens regularly that the placements of my skins are changed :sad:
a solution?
- is there a tool to export a Theme and a Style?
Pascal.

• pitkon likes this

#24 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 02:25 PM

What do you mean by "the placements of my skins have changed"? Which skins? Rainmeter's, Blackbox styles'?

You need to export themes/styles to what?

#25 SoftLight

SoftLight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 02:41 PM

What do you mean by "the placements of my skins have changed"? Which skins? Rainmeter's, Blackbox styles'?

You need to export themes/styles to what?

The rainmeter skins moved,
i have 3 (4 when TV is activated) monitors, i'll investigate, but in case of the problem was known.
apparently, this is caused when changing Wallpaper and/or workspace (i dont need workspaces, but i dont like a problem unsolved :wink: )

i "need"  to export themes/styles for portability on other machine, and, learning/testing.

i dont speak very well english :blush: :blush2: 

• pitkon likes this

#26 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 02:52 PM

Your English is fine :)

Rainmeter and Blackbox don't always work well together. I suggest replacing at least some of Rainmeter's functions with bbinterface. I know it's not an easy task, but I will help you with the scripts, if you need help.

You can always copy style files and/or themes to another computer, provided it has Blackbox installed. Then use the Blackbox menu to choose the style you prefer.

If you need help, please start another topic elsewhere, since this is a xoblite 5 dedicated thread.

• SoftLight likes this

#27 molecube

molecube

werkkzeuger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 10:37 PM

Your English is fine :)

Rainmeter and Blackbox don't always work well together. I suggest replacing at least some of Rainmeter's functions with bbinterface. I know it's not an easy task, but I will help you with the scripts, if you need help.

You can always copy style files and/or themes to another computer, provided it has Blackbox installed. Then use the Blackbox menu to choose the style you prefer.

If you need help, please start another topic elsewhere, since this is a xoblite 5 dedicated thread.

Speaking of bbInterface... Is there an option to integrate this plugin into the BB menu? I'd like to keep my screen clean and empty and would like to place bbInterfaces in the menu. Would be awesome to do that. And perhaps I can. I just didn't find a way yet.

Thanks in advance.

• pitkon likes this

#28 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 05:45 AM

Speaking of bbInterface... Is there an option to integrate this plugin into the BB menu? I'd like to keep my screen clean and empty and would like to place bbInterfaces in the menu. Would be awesome to do that. And perhaps I can. I just didn't find a way yet.

Thanks in advance.

What do you mean by integrate?

bbinterface is a means to create multi-purpose frames on the desktop, has nothing to do with the menu. Even if you can create your own menu using it :)

• molecube likes this

#29 sitalk

sitalk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:43 AM

You can make bbinterface behave like a menu setting a frame to close when it looses focus, I often use it like this but it'll need bbtcl too.

There's an old post of mine here in the forum on how I make it binding it to the middle mouse click on the desktop:

http://blackbox4wind...rose-interface/

That reminds me I have to check if I can manage to make bbtcl work on xoblite5.

• pitkon and molecube like this

#30 molecube

molecube

werkkzeuger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 01:06 PM

What do you mean by integrate?

bbinterface is a means to create multi-purpose frames on the desktop, has nothing to do with the menu. Even if you can create your own menu using it :)

I thought that, perhaps it was possible to create interfaces that can be shown in the menu (as a sub-menu). The idea is that I don't have the bbInterface-panels/buttons, etc. on my desktop all the time but instead place them in a sub-menu (for example: I open a sub-menu and instead of different menu items I do have on/off-buttons, sliders, etc. right in the menu). This would help the desktop remain clean and simple but still provide us with the power of bbInterface.

Sitalk's solution might fit my need. I'm going to try it out. So, thanks sitalk!

• pitkon likes this

#31 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 01:10 PM

You can create a bbi frame to do that - just use Show/Hide.

And, of course, the same syntax can be integrated in the menu(s) (@bbinterface function call).

And, yes, sitalk's suggestion is very useful.

• molecube likes this

#32 tordenflesk

tordenflesk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:14 PM

Does [insertpath] not work in the menu?

#33 meanmechanics

meanmechanics

Troll

• VIP Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 05:58 AM

Thanks in advance.

The question is interesting. In the days of bblean There was a command in extension rc where you could asign a broam/link/?? to the desktop right click. I used that to trigger a bbinterce windows xp like menu or a bbinterface menu of a litestep theme that I liked particularly (hear rounded corners). I never really excelled in that department. The only person I know that can simulate almost anything in bbinterface is Pete of course but the concept worked. I don't know if it can be done in XOB BB5. I'd suggest you to dive into the xoblite rc. If I can spare an hour or so I may have a look into it too.

• pitkon and molecube like this

www.survivingmauritius.com

#34 okt

okt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 11:38 PM

Wow! Great work. Cannot wait to dig into this release and checkout how fancy these gradients are... might even round those corners like all the cool kids these days. :biggrin:

As the discussion rolls into new directions I'm seeing some great ideas on implimentation on some menu-meters as i'm going to call them. I'd love to have a menu with links to drives showing current capacity.

• pitkon likes this

#35 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 05:45 AM

As the discussion rolls into new directions I'm seeing some great ideas on implimentation on some menu-meters as i'm going to call them. I'd love to have a menu with links to drives showing current capacity.

It can be done with bbinterface, of course.

But if we are to pursue this any further, please start a new topic.

#36 vernetzen

vernetzen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:00 AM

Thanks for bringing xoblite back to life.

Some thoughts and questions: (W10 19041.508 if it matters)

• Any way to change or disable the keybind (insert) for pinning menus?
  • Any way to change or disable the keybind (mouse wheel) for workspace switching?
  • Been a while since I used (a)bb4win but workspaces don't seem to work? Windows seem to just follow when switching instead of staying put etc. Names also seem broken, xoblite.rc names are ignored.
  • The toolbar and workspaces seem to ignore a couple programs. Discord mainly but foobar2k and VSCode also seems to show up and disappear sometimes.
  • On the topic of workspaces I also had the same question as molecube, Anyway to disable the workspace "widget"?
- I can't find an option to hide the desktop "widget" which shows what desktop I'm on. Is there a way to hide it?

Also any chance the source will be available at some point?

Will test plugin compatibility another day, thanks again.

• molecube likes this

#37 lukefury

lukefury

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 02:56 AM

First of all,THANKS  A LOT! for all excellent jobs.

after download and run,i find there is some new features, i need some time to test and give my feedback,maybe i should read the readme.txt first.

• pitkon likes this

#38 T.M.

T.M.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 01:24 PM

Seems to be very stable, fast and does also render a lot of programs I had problems until now.

My issues are as follows:

• The title of a new window does not always appear in the toolbar. This is currently not reliable at all. In many cases my toolbar doesn't show a single window, it's just empty while I have several windows open.

Reliable is it only when I close blackbox.exe completely while I have other windows open and then I start blackbox.exe again (this is different from Restart in the menu). In this case I see indeed three or four windows in the toolbar.

• I have no tray icons. And I don't see how to achieve this. Is this concept gone?
  • In many cases the menu remains open (even with open submenus) while I thought it should have been closed now. Again and again I see myself closing the menu by ESC.
  • I miss a menu on the middle mouse button (or similar) showing the current tasks on the actual workspace. This is especially needed as long as the toolbar doesn't show all the windows. And the way to the Workspace submenu is long ...
  • Common Windows keys like Alt-Tab and Alt-F4 seem not to work at all. Do I have to configure them as a hot key?
  • bbZero had an option "Focus follows mouse", I used this normmally. The window where you put the mouse on gets the focus whitout clicking. I miss this a lot.
  • bbZero had an option which allowed the user to maximize a window without occupying the toolbar, at the moment maximizing a window either overwrites the toolbar completely or the toolbar overwrites the window's title bar which is also problematic
  • bbZero allowed the user to move a window on the same position in another workspace by a context menu entry in the toolbar or on the window title bar, at the moment neither the toolbar nor the window title bar do provide this context menu, the only way to move a window is dragging by mouse

Sorry for the long list, don't want to crab.

• pitkon likes this

#39 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 03:12 PM

Seems to be very stable, fast and does also render a lot of programs I had problems until now.

My issues are as follows:

• The title of a new window does not always appear in the toolbar. This is currently not reliable at all. In many cases my toolbar doesn't show a single window, it's just empty while I have several windows open.

Reliable is it only when I close blackbox.exe completely while I have other windows open and then I start blackbox.exe again (this is different from Restart in the menu). In this case I see indeed three or four windows in the toolbar.

• I have no tray icons. And I don't see how to achieve this. Is this concept gone?
  • In many cases the menu remains open (even with open submenus) while I thought it should have been closed now. Again and again I see myself closing the menu by ESC.
  • I miss a menu on the middle mouse button (or similar) showing the current tasks on the screen. This is especially needed as long as the toolbar doesn't show all the windows. And the way to the Workspace submenu is long ...
  • Common Windows keys like Alt-Tab and Alt-F4 seem not to work at all. Do I have to configure them as a hot key?
  • bbZero had an option "Focus follows mouse", I used this normmally. The window where you put the mouse on gets the focus whitout clicking. I miss this a lot.
  • bbZero had an option which allowed the user to maximize a window without occupying the toolbar, at the moment maximizing a window either overwrites the toolbar completely or the toolbar overwrites the window's title bar which is also problematic
  • bbZero allowed the user to move a window on the same position in another workspace by a context menu entry in the toolbar or on the window title bar, at the moment neither the toolbar not the window title bar do provide this context menu, the only way to move a window is dragging by mouse

Sorry for the long list, don't want to crab.

Will reply to just a few, I'm sure qwilk will get the rest.

1) Title: You don't refer to applications that can't be skinned, right?

2) bbtray: Karl has a remedy for that, but bbtray works fine for me.

3) Alt+Tab: Works for me.

And you don't crab, observations are useful for us all, especially Karl :) 

#40 T.M.

T.M.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 05:02 AM

Will reply to just a few, I'm sure qwilk will get the rest.

1) Title: You don't refer to applications that can't be skinned, right?

2) bbtray: Karl has a remedy for that, but bbtray works fine for me.

3) Alt+Tab: Works for me.

And you don't crab, observations are useful for us all, especially Karl :)

1) I mean almost every application. If I open notepad.exe I see it's window but it doesn't appear in the toolbar. Same with calc.exe or whatever. Interesting is that the window comes into the toolbar when you drag it onto another workspace. But when you open a second window there it will again not appear in the toolbar. First I thought it's the configuration of my toolbar. But, as I told, when I start blackbox.exe with already open windows I can see them all in the toolbar, the toolbar is configured right. The algorithm to recognize a new windows seems to be not good.

2) bbtray sounds interesting. But it was not included in the zip.

3) Not in my case. I had a complete new installation, no inherited older configuration files, just the contents of the zip. Windows 10 2004.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: xoblite, bb5, Plugins

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users