• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ErraticFox

ErraticFox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:07 PM

Hello guys, I'm using an very old build of bbLean (2009, from bb4win.sourceforge.net/bblean[color=rgb(102,102,102);font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:small;]) [/color]and I was wondering if you guys could answer some of my questions.

• How can I get rid of task tray icons?
  • How can I get rid of work spaces so I just have one main one?
  • How do I get rid of this pesky little dot on the left side of my task tray?
  • How do I set a wallpaper?

I use to use bbLean last November and I really enjoyed it. Learned all kinds of neat things and made my own minimalist skin. I only used bbLean for a very short time as I had to reinstall my OS shortly after I configured my bbLean and never got around to reinstalling it until now. So I've basically forgotten everything.

Oh, one more thing. How could I incorporate Cygwin into bbLean? I seen some guy on deviant art do some pretty cool stuff (shown here) and I'd like to get all those kind of features with mine, but I know nothing of Linux coding. I've messaged the user of that account asking for assistance or a push to get me off my feet, but no reply back yet. : I'm kind of a quick learner when it comes to this stuff though. :)

As for my questions, you can see what I'm talking about in my attachment below.

Thanks in advance. :)

Attached Files

#2 AustinBeets

AustinBeets

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:57 PM

All configurable options of a plugin (like a desktop bar) can be changed by editing the companion settings file (.rc) in Notepad. Also most Blackbox packages come with an application named "bbstylemaker.exe" It will allow you to change the interface colors and the background of your desktop that are written in your style file that you are using.

How can I get rid of work spaces so I just have one main one?

Open blackbox.rc in Notepad and change these settings:
session.screen0.workspaces
session.screen0.workspacenames

How do I get rid of this pesky little dot on the left side of my task tray?

I think it might be a button. In that case you can change the color of it with bbstylemaker.

#3 diabol

diabol

Lazyass

• Validating
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:03 PM

Hello guys, I'm using an very old build of bbLean (2009, from bb4win.sourceforge.net/bblean[color=rgb(102,102,102);font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:small;]) [/color]and I was wondering if you guys could answer some of my questions.

• How can I get rid of task tray icons?
  • How can I get rid of work spaces so I just have one main one?
  • How do I get rid of this pesky little dot on the left side of my task tray?
  • How do I set a wallpaper?

I use to use bbLean last November and I really enjoyed it. Learned all kinds of neat things and made my own minimalist skin. I only used bbLean for a very short time as I had to reinstall my OS shortly after I configured my bbLean and never got around to reinstalling it until now. So I've basically forgotten everything.

Oh, one more thing. How could I incorporate Cygwin into bbLean? I seen some guy on deviant art do some pretty cool stuff (shown here) and I'd like to get all those kind of features with mine, but I know nothing of Linux coding. I've messaged the user of that account asking for assistance or a push to get me off my feet, but no reply back yet. : I'm kind of a quick learner when it comes to this stuff though. :)

As for my questions, you can see what I'm talking about in my attachment below.

Thanks in advance. :)

1 & 3)

What you want is to use is a toolbar plugin. although it is kinda overkill, do install something so you can disable features :)

bbLeanBar has in it's config options to disable stuff (or add bars with stuff on them).

If you are using bblean it should already be in your plugin-list (core menu -> blackbox -> configuration -> plugins), otherwise choose "add plugin" and select (bb directory)pluginsbbleanbarbbleanbar.dll

in the same folder you will find bbleanbar.rc, there you can just comment the items you don't want on your bar

also you will want to disable the built-in toolbar if you use bbleanbar (core menu -> blackbox -> configuration -> misc -> untick "enable toolbar")

2)

in your bblean directory you will find a file called blackbox.rc (convenience: core menu -> blackbox -> edit -> blackbox.rc), which is the main config, in there you will find "something.something.workspaces: 3" "something.something.workspacenames: alpha, beta, gamma"

just change the first value to one and the second to alpha or something

4)

in core menu -> blackbox -> configuration -> graphics make sure that "enable wallpaper" and "smart wallpaper" are enabled.

then you can just drag & drop images on your desktop and you get a new wallpaper.

there is also bsetroot.exe which can be invoked from styles

About cygwin..

Let me tell you that I've been happily using cygwin on windows 7 for quite a while now. You don't really incorporate it, you just use it for your linux stuff.

There is an installer for cygwin, apart from that it's hit and miss. The good news is that cygwin doesn't screw with your system, the bad news is that installing packages is a little clunky.

But anyways, if you are not a fan of linux terminals then cygwin is probably not all that interesting to you, since it's very hard to integrate graphical applications from cygwin in windows because all of them use the X windowing system.

There are X servers for windows, but they dont integrate all that well with your desktop.

Can be done, but requires lots of coding :)

• meanmechanics likes this

#4 meanmechanics

meanmechanics

Troll

• VIP Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:10 PM

How do I get rid of this pesky little dot on the left side of my task tray?

I think it might be a button. In that case you can change the color of it with bbstylemaker.

And I think it's bblean bar, if so: CTRL+Right you'll get a menu click Edit Settings this will open the .rc file, search for this line :" bbleanbar.item: CurrentOnlyButton " add a "!" or a "#" before the line. should look like this : !bbleanbar.item: CurrentOnlyButton and your done with the pretty little dot.

www.survivingmauritius.com

#5 ErraticFox

ErraticFox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:34 PM

I just figured all that stuff out (except the wallpaper part) and as I came back to report in about it, then I seen all the replies. Thank you guys. :)

About cygwin..

Let me tell you that I've been happily using cygwin on windows 7 for quite a while now. You don't really incorporate it, you just use it for your linux stuff.

There is an installer for cygwin, apart from that it's hit and miss. The good news is that cygwin doesn't screw with your system, the bad news is that installing packages is a little clunky.

But anyways, if you are not a fan of linux terminals then cygwin is probably not all that interesting to you, since it's very hard to integrate graphical applications from cygwin in windows because all of them use the X windowing system.

There are X servers for windows, but they dont integrate all that well with your desktop.

Can be done, but requires lots of coding :)

Well, you have to start some where?  :blush:

I'm only good with HTML & CSS and learning PHP & JS. So I know I wouldn't know anything, though I will be taking programming classes but that's awhile until that. So where would I start, or where did you start? :)

#6 diabol

diabol

Lazyass

• Validating
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:35 PM

I just figured all that stuff out (except the wallpaper part) and as I came back to report in about it, then I seen all the replies. Thank you guys. :)

Well, you have to start some where?  :blush:

I'm only good with HTML & CSS and learning PHP & JS. So I know I wouldn't know anything, though I will be taking programming classes but that's awhile until that. So where would I start, or where did you start? :)

Well, i like to compare windows to a pool of water, it's kinda safe but also kinda limitted in the possibilities, and linux to a fucking huge ocean.

I took a full hard dive into it years ago knowing nothing about it and i kept pestering people on irc about all sorts of stuff until they gave me information which i understood.

Also the reason i use cygwin is that i've grown to like the power which linux' command line gives you and on windows (which i unfortunately have to use) cygwin gives me a sane posix envoronment with a terminal, irssi, git, gcc and all that junk. It's a good trade-off to make windows bearable for people who can't go without linux for too long and don't want to dual-boot.

Well, if you wanna join the dark side, then just go for it. I hope you can swim :)

#7 ErraticFox

ErraticFox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:04 AM

How long would it take to achieve on what that guy has done?

#8 diabol

diabol

Lazyass

• Validating
  • 236 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:18 PM

How long would it take to achieve on what that guy has done?

I don't know what exactly you mean, so no clue :)

nvm, you mean awesome on windows?

uhhh, it looks like he's running a full X server on windows with a window manager and a few terminals. that in itself is not terribly hard to do.

what is hard to do is to integrate this nicely with the rest of windows (of which i do not see a screenshot in his stuff).

the thing is, you have two options basically: either running X in it's own window with all the X clients inside of that window or running X in a "rootless" mode with every X client having it's own window.

In the first setting (one big window for everything X), you can have a linuxy window manager take care of the X clients, but only inside of that big window and not for normal Windows™ windows.

In the second setting (one window for every X client), you let Windows™ take care of managing the X clients, which means either explorer or blackbox (or litestep or windawesome).

There are, however, some experimental modes in Xming which allow you to mix these modes, but on my system they crash the server, so yeah..

The closest you get to eating your cake would be bbLean (without toolbar) + bbLeanSkin (for some nice decoration frames) + Windawesome (tiling windowmanager for windows, kinda like awesome, but written in .Net and no lua support) + cygwin + rootless Xming (you might want to donate to the author to get the current version, the public one is a few years old).

To sum it all up: that guy is cheating a little :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users