3 replies to this topic

#1 Ritz

Ritz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:53 PM

Right so, I just installed windows 10 on my PC via upgrading and would like to go to its default shell in order to verify that everything is installed properly and functioning.  Its normally just easier to get some of the under the hood, and used to some of the new apps before adding them to my BlackBox config.

Problem is, going back to explorer.exe merely brings me a folder and doesn't load the default shell.  Running it directly from task menu does the same thing.  So the question I pose is, how do I get the default shell  back if explorer.exe is not loading it?

#2 tordenflesk

tordenflesk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:04 PM

Haven't tried it on 10, but you should be able to run bsetshell.exe, check explorer.exe and log off then on and you should have Explorer back.

#3 Ritz

Ritz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:17 PM

Haven't tried it on 10, but you should be able to run bsetshell.exe, check explorer.exe and log off then on and you should have Explorer back.

I had tried that originally but it didn't work, I realized the shell item in the registry was not set to explorer.exe.  After ripping hairs out, I finally remembered to check the registry lol.  Although bsetroot disabled blackbox, it didn't change this value and merely just stopped blackbox and explorer from loading.

Local MachineSoftwareMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersion]WinLogonShell 

#4 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationAthens & Nafplio, Greece

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:46 AM

You mean you didn't edit the registry to show Shell explorer.exe?

Better still, use a shell manager like ShellOn. Will do it for you and then you can pick a shell each time you load Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users