To repeat for everyone:
well, frankly it was just a fast experiment to see how much effort i'd need to put into porting it.
it wasn't much, there was a single file in the build tools which blocked the build and some stuff about sockets iirc
bear in mind that dwb needs an X server to run - I used the free version of Xming, which isn't great
i would rather not go through the hassle to create a package (and i don't have the build lying around anymore), so instead i will reembark on the journey and document the steps.
on a (semi-)fresh cygwin install, you need the following packages and all their required dependencies (you can get all of these via cygwin's setup-xxx.exe):
gcc-g++ (i think)
1.) Patch for stdlib stuff
Add the line "CFLAGS += -U__STRICT_ANSI__" to config.mk
This fixes a lot of weird compilation stuff where standard functions are not defined
2.) Add some empty const to hsts_preload.h
I'm not sure why the tool which is supposed to generate this file fails, but whatever.
After an unsuccessful compile, add these lines to "hsts_preload.h" and it compiles:
const HSTSPreloadEntry *s_hsts_preload = NULL;
const int s_hsts_preload_length = 0;
3.) make install (this should work)
4.) grab Xming, start it
5.) cygwin rebaseall (google it)
6.) add this to ~/.config/dwb/settings:
7.) run dwb with
I got back up to this point today and here it dies with a horrible sigsegv somewhere in webgit-gkt3 and i don't know why.
Another day I might try out an older branch from github or talk to the guys from dwb's irc channel (they are friendly and helped a bit in my first experiment)
Or I could just enable debug symbols and see if gdb gives me a useful backtrace. Who knows, mysterious are the ways of the lazyass