266 replies to this topic

#121 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationAthens & Nafplio, Greece

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:00 AM

I've never been so excited then so frustrated in my life. I have attempted multiple times to download the attached rar and it finishes then says "Failed, Size Mismatch". Any idea?

Please link me to the rar you are trying to download so I can check the issue.

#122 Heeiexqu

Heeiexqu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 09:34 PM

I am having the same issue. I have been trying to download the latest version, as posted here:

http://blackbox4wind...age-5#entry2046

But the download always fails at the last second. And to add to this frustration, it isn't the only example as other files across this board are the same way.

#123 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:08 AM

I am having the same issue. I have been trying to download the latest version, as posted here:

http://blackbox4wind...age-5#entry2046

But the download always fails at the last second. And to add to this frustration, it isn't the only example as other files across this board are the same way.

This is a false alarm triggered by antivirus apps. Just downloaded the build and I got the Network Interrupted error as well, because my Avast didn't like it, but the file was downloaded anyway as bbZero_1.18rc3.5.rar.opdownload (I use Opera as a browser). I renamed the file, deleting opdownload and keeping the .rar extension. It works just fine. I am not sure how it's saved with other browsers, but I guess you may see something similar in your file browser after download. Mojmir will upload rc4 soon, so this is a temporary inconvenience. What can I say? Computers are things of the devil :D

#124 xionxinx

xionxinx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:26 AM

This is a false alarm triggered by antivirus apps. Just downloaded the build and I got the Network Interrupted error as well, because my Avast didn't like it, but the file was downloaded anyway as bbZero_1.18rc3.5.rar.opdownload (I use Opera as a browser). I renamed the file, deleting opdownload and keeping the .rar extension. It works just fine. I am not sure how it's saved with other browsers, but I guess you may see something similar in your file browser after download. Mojmir will upload rc4 soon, so this is a temporary inconvenience. What can I say? Computers are things of the devil :D

Ahh, sorry for just now coming back to the thread. Thank You, that was the issue. My excitement has returned.

#125 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:28 AM

Ahh, sorry for just now coming back to the thread. Thank You, that was the issue. My excitement has returned.

My pleasure :)

#126 TheCraiggers

TheCraiggers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:03 PM

Mojmir, thank you so much for taking the inititive in porting BB to newer versions of Windows.

Secondly, does anybody have the documentation for BlackBoxBar? It doesn't seem to be included with install package, and googling for it has turned up no results.

#127 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:30 AM

Mojmir, thank you so much for taking the inititive in porting BB to newer versions of Windows.

Secondly, does anybody have the documentation for BlackBoxBar? It doesn't seem to be included with install package, and googling for it has turned up no results.

Blackboxbar is mojmir's version of bbleanbar. Works like bbleanbar did, more or less.

#128 Enigma83

Enigma83

• Validating
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:19 AM

Just figured I'd report back to say (to Mojmir) that remote debugging will no longer be necessary. I traded a friend my laptop for his, your build runs fine on it. It has absolutely no Intel components whatsoever, only AMD. It also had issues with Linux not recognizing the crappy built-in Broadcom wifi card, so his offer was desirable. And Lenovo even had the balls to put a WLAN whitelist in the BIOS, which makes it almost impossible to swap the card for another. I tried flashing a modded BIOS, fail no matter what I tried.

A few issues: Windows reboots during BB install (not BSOD), which I believe is due to the install of the Visual C redistributables. Not always, but often. Can you look into this?

2. Some startup items don't start, specifically stuff that seems to depend on Explorer to be running. An example is a software firewall I use called Privatefirewall. It is set to run at boot/login in its' configuration options, yet it fails to do so when BB is set as the default shell. Another example is NetSetMan Pro, a WiFi connections management software, which is needed to run BB as default shell because the WiFi icon icon doesnt work properly in Windows 8 (I have 8.1 Pro). A solution: manually start Explorer with Task Manager, after which PF starts instantly. Which is how I deduced that it depends in part on Explorer. Is there any workaround for this?

3. Explorer windows will often appear "in the background" when pressing the Windows key + E hotkey. In other words, the window will appear, but it is beneath all other windows, not visible and minimized. I can tell because there is a flashing Explorer icon in BB's "taskbar" (or whatever it's called). All applicable Windows updates and drivers are installed. Is anyone else noticing this?

Thanks in advance!

#129 diabol

diabol

Lazyass

• Validating
  • 236 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:07 PM

[...] And Lenovo even had the balls to put a WLAN whitelist in the BIOS, which makes it almost impossible to swap the card for another. [...]

2.) bb has to replicate explorer's autostart feature (find the entries in the registry, find the entries in autostart folders, launch all of them) - it may well be that it's missing one of these locations. that is especially true if you are running x86 bb on x64. you can use autoruns to find out where these entries are for privatefirewall and netsetman. if they really depend on explorer, then there's little we can do about it, but my guess is this just don't get launched   3.) dont press Win + E. duh >: )

• pitkon likes this

#130 fr0zensphere

fr0zensphere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:44 AM

My Avast AV is also going off when I try to download rc 3.5. The one linked in post #87. I still got a .rar file that appears complete, but when I extract it I get this:

Posted Image

#131 mojmir

mojmir

BB Developer

• Moderators
  • 254 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:02 AM

and what did Avast said?

#132 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:10 PM

My Avast AV is also going off when I try to download rc 3.5. The one linked in post #87. I still got a .rar file that appears complete, but when I extract it I get this:

Posted Image

De-activate Avast and download. This is an absolutely safe rar file, I can assure you. Later, you can reactivate Avast. I know Avast gives a lot of false alarms. AVG don't mind.

#133 mojmir

mojmir

BB Developer

• Moderators
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:43 PM

btw: which Avast version do you have specificaly?

I created a ticket with false alarm report:

(will fill later.. apparently i have not succeeded to create the ticket)

and i let tested the build file with some other antiviruses:

https://www.virustot...sis/1421669291/

https://www.metascan...64475fc4a2eb714

#134 jakedude435

jakedude435

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:34 AM

(if this should be posted somewhere else, please feel free to move it or tell me where to move it, I apologize for any inconvenience)
Some Good news and some bad news guys. Mostly good.

Good news.
GREETINGS FROM WINDOWS 10 TECHNICAL PREVIEW
(yes I know I was gonna post this weeks ago. I need to just not make plans, they get done sooner that way.)
Posted Image

Okay so bad news.
Windows 10 apps and windows 8 apps in in the windows 10 enviornment have a couple issues with BB.
One being the skin, it works, but likes to mess up randomly with transparancy in a variety of obnoxious ways from total transparancy to none at all, however I think they all relate to the same issue because its the same part thats always effected. The grey part.
http://i.imgur.com/QAKX7pP.png

And theres a problem with app links. notice how my sonic dash wasint in the all programs list, i had to go back to explorer to make a shortcut. no big deal, BUT, opening the shortcut has some sort of issue i cant even begin to guess at.
//EDIT, okay they work only if you dont set BB as the default shell and explorer is loafing around in the background. Skin still doesn't like them. Just found that out by accident.
http://i.imgur.com/j4Jpe7c.png

Besides those few problems, it works great.

#135 pitkon

pitkon

Administrator

• Head Administrator
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:56 AM

Skinning windows had issues, starting with Win 7.  Disabling Aero or Metro solved most of the problems, my guess is something similar has to be disabled under Windows 10. Running BB not as shell but on top of explorer is no option, imho.

#136 mojmir

mojmir

BB Developer

• Moderators
  • 254 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:21 PM

win10 and win8 does not skin well because of aero. they removed to possibility to disable aero and blackbox does not play well with it. like you say: transparency issues and nonclient area issues (frames, buttons). i tried to dive in and studied aero and how to draw into nonclient area etc. i have something that could maybe work, but still it requires more time on this. then i kinda postponed it.

btw "some say" that there is a way to turn aero off through high-contrast settings. tried it but i do not think it worked. but maybe i got it wrong.

the issue of transparency should be easier than the frames, maybe it's just matter of using another color for black (0,0,0 being transparency). did not tried it yet, just suspicion.

maybe i'll try to move to win10, i am quite unhappy in win8 with their ugly-as-hell-and-always-popping-to-face-thus-scaring-me-to-death-metro-bastard :)

are win10 viable for normal work?

#137 scruffty

scruffty

Ancient Data

• VIP Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:39 PM

It seems to be more a configuration problem with 10 then a problem with blackbox skinning.As we were told everyone will be able to download the first full windows 10 release for  free.As you install it you will have configuration choices that will affect if you can use it with blackbox and avoid some of the above difficulties.As soon as we have the optimum configuration we will try to pass it off to our site administrator for posting..We will all have some major choices to make and some tradeoffs.Stay tuned....

• pitkon likes this

#138 mojmir

mojmir

BB Developer

• Moderators
  • 254 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:07 PM

just installed win 10...

Posted Image

#139 mojmir

mojmir

BB Developer

• Moderators
  • 254 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:10 PM

well it's not to hard to love it at first sight after the win 8.x. win 8.x may be the susan boyle of operating systems.. may perform very well, but god it's ugly :D

#140 scruffty

scruffty

Ancient Data

• VIP Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:13 PM

The option to install it as you would an update removes a lot of resistance.I agree its ugly and with so many changes expect bugs.They even changed the calculator app.The 3D glasses and other goodies down the road will lure in most people.After 8.1 what can you expect.I'm hoping that the fact that they want to go off in more then one direction won't leave us out in the cold.Putting the metro apps in their own floating screens was a good idea for those who want to configure it that way new browser and all.Some in the know say their final intention is to eliminate 3rd party programs and have everyone be forced to have only microsoft programs that they can charge top dollar for but I think  if this comes it will be down the road.I would be interested in your thoughts as this develops....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users